Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macedonian Inscription
Here is a link to an article about a 4,000 year old inscription from the Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia, which -if I understand it correctly- proves that the ancient inhabitants of that country at that time spoke an Indo-European language.

Although a date in 2,000 BCE is not completely impossible - after all, there were writing systems in existence in the East - I think it is extremely unlikely to be correct. Perhaps a "400 A.D." became a "4000 B.C.". Did anyone see other news reports that may help to get the facts straight?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Putting aside all doubts about the dating and interpretation of this item, it seems that its discoverer, Dr. Dushko Aleksovski, who is the head of the "World Rock Art Academy," also happened to discover some time before 1995 "a stone carving of a sun, about 3000 years old... near Kratovo, in the Republic of Macedonia. The sun... has eight rays and is in a square frame." So, within a 15 year span this man just happened to discover what would be two of the most important artefacts proving the Macedonian genesis within FYROM. Suspect, to say the least...
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Smells fishy for sure, even without the additional info Ruben! :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Suspect, to say the least...
That's what I have been thinking too; but let's give him the benefit of the doubt. He appears to have found something, I'd like to know what it is.
Jona Lendering
My website
Well some people are "uncomfortable" that so far the oldest written evidence in Macedonia is the "Dispilio inscription" with Linear A letters.
The issue is not on the antiquity of the inscriptions but so far Linear A is asociated with the proto-Greeks.

Kind regards
Quote:Well some people are "uncomfortable" that so far the oldest written evidence in Macedonia is the "Dispilio inscription" with Linear A letters.
The issue is not on the antiquity of the inscriptions but so far Linear A is asociated with the proto-Greeks.
That's interesting!!
Jona Lendering
My website
Dispilio Text:

http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%91%CF% ... t_text.png

2nd image in this page:

http://abnet.agrino.org/htmls/H/H004.html

More natural look image bottom left in this page:

http://www.windmillstravel.com/gr/album ... ntype=city
Thanks!
Jona Lendering
My website
I've seen this reconstructed village before, recently.
:? I think in a new magazine about Greece!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The Neolithic village is cool.
Yet elements of writing give substantial info about the peoples culture and probably what they thought of themselves. (difficult but not impossible)
I do not know the scientific community consensus on the Dispilio inscription
but if it is perceived as Linear A then it puts a tombstone on the ambitions of modern people. Their only chance is to prove or "invent" an older cultural element, if any, and argue their case in the depth of time.

Kind regards and Happy New Year.