Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas Present: Nijmegen
Here is a little Christmas present for all of you: the city of Nijmegen, once the capital of the Batavians and the base of the Tenth legion Gemina. If you want a brief outline of the six settlements, go here. For about ninety photos, go here.

The sixteen pages are more or less finished: all things military have been uploaded (Hunerberg, Kops Plateau, Valkhof), all photos are there, but I still want to add three maps.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Merry Christmas and thanks Jona! That is an excellent site.
Laudes well deserved!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Brilliant stuff Jona, as usual.

Just a few notes, nothing big: although Google claims to use satellite images in Google maps for The Netherlands, they're not. I know, because the same company that makes these aerial photos, flies for most Dutch councils including Houten. :wink: I've seen the real satellite pictures, the difference is huge.

Typo on the general Nijmegen page:
"In 777, Charlemagne celebrated Easter in Nijmegen, and ordere a palace to be built over there, which was expanded by later emperors".

This statement on the Valkhof page puzzles me: "Somehow, order was restored in 418, but Britain was lost, and no longer produced the food that had always been sent to the forts along the Rhine. Everything north of Cologne was now abandoned. "

Are you sure about that? Including Cuijck and Xanten? Or did you mean temporarely? I was wondering, because the 5th-c. Rhenen finds indicate (I think) that there was still Roman interest in the Lower Rhine. The silver might be signs of Roman attempts to buy off or reward Frankish lords who controlled the area.

Personally I'm not so sure that 'everything was abandoned', I'd like to think more of federate rule or indirect control. Cologne is recorded as 'lost' in 459 and Aegidius fails to retrieve it as late as 461, the occupation by the Rhine Franks (and surrounding lands) being legalized by Gundioc in 463. That would be odd if it had been lost by 418.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:This statement on the Valkhof page puzzles me: "Somehow, order was restored in 418, but Britain was lost, and no longer produced the food that had always been sent to the forts along the Rhine. Everything north of Cologne was now abandoned. "

Are you sure about that? Including Cuijck and Xanten? Or did you mean temporarely? I was wondering, because the 5th-c. Rhenen finds indicate (I think) that there was still Roman interest in the Lower Rhine. The silver might be signs of Roman attempts to buy off or reward Frankish lords who controlled the area.

Personally I'm not so sure that 'everything was abandoned'
Good point, very good. I was thinking about the bridge of Cuijk, which the Romans tried to restore every twenty years and was indeed repaired in 393, but was left abandoned in c.415. But the fact that the Roman gov't no longer repaired that bridge does not prove that it had officially handed over power to the federate Franks. It changed it accordingly.

And meanwhile, it's now seventeen pages.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:And meanwhile, it's now seventeen pages.

Immediately picked up by our Newsbot! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
What is the origin of the radial pattern of trees in this image?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 8&t=k&z=18
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:What is the origin of the radial pattern of trees in this image?
My guess would be the road and a cyclepath. But have you noticed the star-shaped pattern to the immediate NE?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:ebzmni01 Wrote:What is the origin of the radial pattern of trees in this image?
My guess would be the road and a cyclepath. But have you noticed the star-shaped pattern to the immediate NE?

That is the radial pattern I am refering to. :wink: Guess I should have said to szoom out, as I see it is back to original image! :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Don't know what it exactly is, but I'm sure they aren't cyclers roads, as that area isn't open.

My best guess it that is has to do with the aqueduct the Romans digged there. At least there were some archeological finds from that area. It's hard to see, but a little to the left you see a little piece of water. (for Robert and others who know it, that's the water of Tell Arab in Museumpark Orientalis). Just behind that one you see a kind of line. This is one of the Roman aqueducts to Nijmegen. Which goes right to your radial pattern! Also, this is the lowest part of the Kerstendal, where the Romans got their water supplies from.
ALA I BATAVORUM
It looks very interesting whatever it is. It is definately linked, or appears to be linked into some sort of network.
My guess was something to do with the Aquaduct system.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think it just a seventeenth or eighteenth century garden; people liked to plant trees in patterns back then. Later, the site may have been abandoned, and new trees grew in the fields between the original 'rays'. The old pattern remains visible, as those trees were older, and therefore bigger. It is indeed the area where the aqueduct of the Hunerberg fort received its water, but no, I do not think it has something to do with that.
Jona Lendering
My website
That crossed my mind too, Jona! Probably the answer!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Great site!
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:I think it just a seventeenth or eighteenth century garden; people liked to plant trees in patterns back then. Later, the site may have been abandoned, and new trees grew in the fields between the original 'rays'. The old pattern remains visible, as those trees were older, and therefore bigger.
I agree. It could also be the remains of a crossroads of paths from an old park. I've seen that before from UK aerial photos.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I think it just a seventeenth or eighteenth century garden; people liked to plant trees in patterns back then. Later, the site may have been abandoned, and new trees grew in the fields between the original 'rays'. The old pattern remains visible, as those trees were older, and therefore bigger. It is indeed the area where the aqueduct of the Hunerberg fort received its water, but no, I do not think it has something to do with that.

You are correct, these trees are planted by human and very likely an other species as the other trees. See the color difference.
JP van de Giessen
Blog: [url:xayumokv]http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com[/url]