Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A rather critical review of Eric Flints\' Belisarius Series
Don't get me wrong I enjoy Mister Flints books but there are a few things I found fault with

1 Ancient armor and weapons are super heavy, clumsy and slow and you can't get up in armor and you will drown in water

Obviously wrong

2 Cataphracts used small horses

The romans had acsess to large breeds and a bigger breed would obviously handle the armor better

3 The cataphracts

The 'Cataphracts' are obviously Optimates which were of German origin.

4 Horses won't charge a solid object

I've already pointed out how wrong that is on another thread

5 The arqubusier and the Pikenier are the be all and end all of the military and they can kick cavalry butt any time

The man needs to read about Polish Winged Hussars sometime, and about arqubuses

6 Cataphracts are mighty but everybody else can kick their butts 'cause he saw em' do it on TV

7 A character has a magic sword that can cut through a spangenhelm, and the character has a magic lance that can cut through the lammelar armor on a horses neck and he can even do it without stirupps, and he can beat Belisarius with both hands tied behind his back.

The Belisarius who according to Procopius who witnessed it, shot a goth through the chest with a cataphract bow (Do you realize how strong Belisarius would have to be to even draw a bow with that much pull)

8 Lightly armored Rajputs beat cataphracts while charging uphill

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
12 Views 0 reply's

... You people Tongue

Seriously what do you think? Big Grin
Quote:Seriously what do you think? Big Grin
never read it. sorry.
** Vincula/Lucy **
It's a series about an alien supercopmputer using Byzantine armies to counter an ubersadistic extraterrestrial intelligence taking over Northern India by creating a new religion based on torture.

I'm not expecting realism.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
So these Byzantines had chips implanted during their 'alien abduction ' episodes? Then the supercomputer used them 'Borg like' as a droid army?
Then created a nnew Religion in India based on torture?
Was it called Essnemmism?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Loved the series by Eric Flint and David Drake - running for 10 years now! Read most of it online though, not the whole books.

Book 1: An Olique Approach (completely online)
Book 2: In the Heart of Darkness (completely online)
Book 3: Destiny's Shield (completely online)
Book 4: Fortune's Stroke
Book 5: The Tide of Victory
Book 6: The Dance of Time
Book 7: Belisarius (1)
Book 8: Belisarius (2) forthcoming

Of course it's fantasy. I mean, Belisarius is a total hero, Justinian is a reasonable and totally not jealous or petty head of state, and the Imperial women are almost Renaissance modern people, and nice. Confusedhock:
Oh, and of course there are alien entities talking inside the heads of Belisarius and some of his enemies, helping both parties to invent all kinds of stuff - fast! Gunpowder, steam engines, telegraph, etc. etc..

But the action is great, the storyline gripping, travelling from Constantinople to India. Plus I applaud the author for placing most of his work online. He's of the opinion that if readers can access his books online they will be more likely to buy the real books, than if they'd stumble across them by chance. Works for me. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I agree they were an excellent series

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A new book about Belisarius! Virilis 24 5,481 02-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Aulus Perrinius