Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Information on the Linothorax front? APA Meeting 2009
Quote:Yes, I've seen the coloured renditions produced from those traces of original paint that still cling to the sarcophagus. Still, the Persian clothing and footwear is rendered in some detail (including leather thongs). These too were then painted over.

It's often much more than traces. Have you seen some of the photographs from the early twentieth century? Nonetheless, however the sculptor chose to render the footwear and details of the Macedonians, saddlecloths and footwear were painted on, leaving little doubt about the intent of the artisans who crafted this work to depict them with such items.

Quote:I take the point about greaves: it would seem, given those found in the Vergina burials (royal and otherwise), that this may have been a matter of choice. That is, the greave or the Macedonian "lace-up" high boot.

The Vergina burial also included shields and a gorytos, neither of which were carried by Macedonian cavalrymen at this time. It is evident from these items (as well as the item identified by Andronikos as a sarissa but which is probably a ceremonial spear) that the arms inhumed in this burial should not be taken as actual arms employed by Macedonian cavalrymen during that time. No other sources indicate that greaves were worn by cavalrymen at this time.

Quote:Alexander is depicted elsewhere as wearing the latter. There is the notion that greaves were worn when on foot. His foot (and lower shin) have not survived but there is a distinct lack of detail (without seeing the sarcophagus "live") on the "Perdikkas" / "Antigonus" character.

Greaves were later worn by cavalrymen during the Hellenistic period, but just not at this time. Traces of a high boot still remained on Alexander's leg soon after discovery, as they did on all other Macedonian cavalrymen depicted on the monument. None wore greaves as the hoplite is shown wearing.

Quote:Lastly the "Macedonian hoplite", rendered in close detail, marches into battle barefoot. We need not bother over those "heroically nude".

Some traces of colour still remained on his foot upon discovery, and though his toes are visible, it doesn't mean he wasn't wearing footwear (he very well could have been depicted wearing open-toed sandals). The heroically nude are, as you say, a different matter, though, and one that certainly does not detract from the accuracy of the other details.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:It's often much more than traces. Have you seen some of the photographs from the early twentieth century?

No, I have not. Do you know where they might be found? I was aware that a decent amount - certainly enough for a faithful "reconstruction" - of paint was left. You point about the infantry sandal might well be correct: the "Antigonus / Perdikkas" charater seems to show toes but no foot / ankle detail.

Quote:The Vergina burial also included shields and a gorytos, neither of which were carried by Macedonian cavalrymen at this time. It is evident from these items (as well as the item identified by Andronikos as a sarissa but which is probably a ceremonial spear) that the arms inhumed in this burial should not be taken as actual arms employed by Macedonian cavalrymen during that time.

Fascinating as Spock would say. Both Diodorus and Plutarch preserve a tradition that Alexander carried a shield into battle at the Granicus. There may be confusion of original material here but it is interesting that both have the shield mentioned. Arrian too describes shields being carried by the cavalry but these are in instances where it is assumed they will wind up fighting on foot. The mosaic, obviously, shows no shield.

I've often wondered what the sarisa head was if not that (similar heads - in a rather poor state of preservation - were unearthed at Chaeroneia). The butt spike was apparently located at or near to the entrance to the tomb (outside). What do you make of the iron cuirass?
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
The spear points found at Vergina were not all spear heads. Some of them were spear butts. Connolly has justified this well enough in a relevant article. Also when i saw them up close,it was clear that the shaft that fitted in them was two or three times wider than that of the long and thin and lighter spear points(most probably belonging to sarissae). And interestingly,those heavier spear points were not very pointed,even though preserved in excellent condition. And lastly,the painting of a supposed light Macedonian cavalryman killing a persian shows exactly such an iron butt,in the form of a spear point.
On the matter of the gorytos,not all of the equipment found in there had to be for battle. Hunt was painted above the entrance of the tomb and was a typical royal hobby.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I wasn't able to make it to the talk, but the website for the project is:
http://www.uwgb.edu/aldreteg/Linothorax.html
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan