Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT Conference 2009 - Where?
Salvete Omnes,

I start this new thread. We had discussed to hold next years conference either in Windisch, Switzerland or in Gent, Belgium. The main considerations where how to get to these places and I checked how to get there by train and found out that Gent is much easier to get to because to Windisch only a Post Bus is going while Gent has a train station. It mentioned Gent St. Pieter (hope that's the right one). Maybe the others could mention as well what would be easier for them.

I added a poll which runs for 75 days so we have enough time to check and discuss.
Six people voted so far, but no posts. Since this poll will run out next month I just would like to bring this up again to your attention and look forward to reading your comments.
Thanks Svenja!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
A difficult one - Gent is cheaper for me but i have never been to Windisch.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:The main considerations where how to get to these places and I checked how to get there by train and found out that Gent is much easier to get to because to Windisch only a Post Bus is going while Gent has a train station.
The place to stay would probably be Augst, from there a short trip to Windisch would be the thing, it´s only a few km apart.

Augst:
[url:rgtqh7de]http://www.augustaraurica.ch/menu/index.php[/url]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Indeed Gent would be much cheaper for most of us, but when I compare it to the cities of the previous 3 conferences, Windish/Augst would be more in the line. Also, I know the regio of Gent and never went to Windisch and Augst, so that also makes I like that option better, even as it will cost me some more bucks. It's an expensive hobby anyway.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi everybody
I would very much recommend Windisch. There is a railstation at Brugg, the Vindonissa museum is in Brugg and the legionary camp is just 15min walk from the railwaystation. You could stay at the youth hostel Brugg, Schlössli Altenburg which building is a medieval castel, placed inside a late roman fortification.
Next point is, that we plan to have an exhibition with paintings of Graham Sumner which will start in January 2010.
Greetings, Eckhard
Eckhard Deschler-Erb
University of Zurich
As the poll has ended, and at least my schedule is slowly getting busier, I think it's good to give a BUMP to this topic (therefore choosing a location) and next choosing a date most of us can attend. Sofar, 11 people voted.

A little majority voted Windisch. So, Windisch it is?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:A little majority voted Windisch. So, Windisch it is?
Yes, that would mean Windisch; and I think we must now close the discussion and start to organize things. After all, Windisch was proposed to make sure that people from Italy and France could attend. It will mean that Christian will have to do a lot of work...
Jona Lendering
My website
I checked the train schedule, in Kaiseraugst and Brugg are train stations so if we decide to have accomodation in one of those two places it would be no problem to attend the conference in Switzerland.
Hello everybody,
If you like, I can help in organizing. Iam living near Windisch/Kaiseraugst and for that I can help arranging things. There is a nice youth hostel in Brugg.
Greetings, Eckhard
Eckhard Deschler-Erb
University of Zurich
Quote:You could stay at the youth hostel Brugg, Schlössli Altenburg which building is a medieval castel, placed inside a late roman fortification.
Next point is, that we plan to have an exhibition with paintings of Graham Sumner which will start in January 2010.
Greetings, Eckhard

Guess this sounds like a good idea for accomodation. What do you guys think? Though I have to get a youth hostel pass for that. I used to have one but canceled it a few years ago.
I don't have any problems with hostel (and I have a pass for them)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I don't have any problems with hostel (and I have a pass for them)
I agree.
Jona Lendering
My website
The Youth hostel in Brugg is very nice and has been built on Roman and medieval walls.
More informations can be found under the following link

http://www.youthhostel.ch/hosteldetails ... ostels_pi1 [bez]=BRG&cHash=d10ea08767
Eckhard Deschler-Erb
University of Zurich

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RAT conference 2009 - When? caiusbeerquitius 14 4,955 04-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius