Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H.R.Robinson Helmet Typology
I would assume there are far fewer helmets found then swords. How many to date? 60 - 70? So I do believe we could use a more simple classification. No two helmets are exactly the same, so I would be interested in the variations within one group, as that would indicate the amount of freedom in replica's in a given type.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:I did write an exposé on the subject, but did not do anything with it as I moved on to other things.

Basically, my opinion was/is that most of the Imperial Italic and Auxiliary Cavalry hemets of Robinson are infantry hemets of the same family as the Imperial Gallic, continuing this family into the 3rd century.

The main series would run as follows:
  • Type I. Imperial Gallic A and B
  • Type II. Imperial Gallic C and D
  • Type III. Imperial Gallic E and F
  • Type IV. Imperial Gallic G, H and J
  • Type IVx. Type IV with cross braces fitted afterwards
  • Type V. Imperial Gallic K and Imperial Italic G
  • Type VI. No known examples, only parts, contemporary to Imperial Italic D
  • Type VII. No known examples, only parts, contemporary to Imperial Italic H
  • Type VIII. No known examples, only parts, contemporary to Auxiliary Cavalry H
  • Type IX. Auxiliary Cavalry D and E

Next to the main series, there are sub-series, such as the brass panneled (Imperial Italic D, Guttman mouse helmet and Auxiliary cavalry type H from Heddernheim. Another sub-series would be silver-panneled helmets such as the Imperial Italic E[?], Imperial Italic H from Nijmegen.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Links to Equipment Section for Helmet Typology Broken? Gaius_Calvus 2 1,276 01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus