Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winged Hussar versus Samurai
I'm a bit old for this sort of thing but I couldn't stop toying with the idea so I may as well get it out of my system. The title is self evident I wonder who would win a winged Hussar or a samurai? One on one as they say, or in a large group and/or in an exchange of missle fire. They would probably have to be contemporaries. But there is a problem I don't know much about Samurai. So who does everyone think wins?
The winged hussar, of course. He is Polish, and since we are getting all our information on this from wikipedia and there are *far* more Poles than Japanese editing the English-language wikipedia, it stands to reason.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
See, you just had to make it difficult...

I won't even start to try and argue for battle...It's hard enough to decide which has the better looking armor and kit...

brain hurts now!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I like Carlton's answer lol.

Legion: TBD
Dudicus has a point over the better looking armor. We actually never need to worry about who would have won a battle, where no one could, or would, actually duked it out in the real world. We can always judge on aesthetics, which are subjective, so no one ever loses.

However, if you are going to judge in this manner, I have to say that without knowing the style and color lacing of the Japanese armor (which are critical details), it is a debatable comparison. What do we actually know about the half-time show and the cheerleaders of each side?

Anyway, without doing multivariate regression on wine/beer against saki consumption, no analytic hypothesis testing can be done anyway.

Ralph I.
Ralph, what's with that picture in your sig? I had no idea you were that famous! lol

Legion: TBD
Thinking this matter over I just had a vision of beautiful colorful Japanese butterfly on a 20 foot pin. Then again, being 1/2 Polish and 1/4 Kashubian I'll admit that I might be a little biased. :lol:
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:beautiful colorful Japanese butterfly on a 20 foot pin

Clodius - by "pin" you mean the Kopia lance?? :twisted:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Did someone say Butterfly...?

Taira no Tomomori, one of the leaders of the Taira (Heike) Clan in the Gempei Wars which ushered in the age of the Samurai. Note the crest on his armor/kimono.

Tomomori died at the naval Battle of Dan no Ura when the Taira clan, along with the Emperor Antoku, were destroyed by the Genji Clan led by Minamoto no Yoshitsune.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I find 44 Butterfly mons most of which date from Great Wars era. These include: the Baba, Oda, Ikeda, Hojo, and Ise clans.

The Takada "Iron Fan" incident has referenced a butterfly shaped war fan.

The transfixed butterfly has a fatalistic Haiku image that I thiink would appeal to samurai. I would run like hell from anyone who looked like Tomomori.

Ralph
Are we talking about Hussars and Samurais from Age of Empires 2? If that is the case I'd say the Samurais would win easily. The Hussars would even run in fear before engaging in combat.
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
No I meant real winged hussars Smile
Hard to tell...In a head on charge the hussars with their 20 odd foot long lances would pack quite a punch.Id say their armour was more protective as well. So id favour the winged hussars but i could be wrong...its happened once or twice like.Anyone wanting to arrange a pitched battle between the two sides??Id be well up for that..plus we would get a definitive answer
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Polish Hussar kit help? Fwinzor 1 977 05-06-2013, 04:42 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Winged lance head/boar spear Marcus Mummius 13 3,665 04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Paullus