Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympische Forschungen
Does anyone out there have copies of the books in this series? I just got Band 29 (weapons) as an early Xmas present, and now (I don't read German) I'd like to know if there's more. Armour? Shields?

I went to the Walter de Gruyter Website and there SEEMS to be a title called "Argive Shields" and another called "Archaic Shield emblems and designs."

Website is www.degruyter.com/cont/fb/at/atReiEn.cfm?rc=16650

If anyone owns all these books, I'd appreciate some comments before I spend hundreds of dollars. If someone else speaks German and could at least translate the series titles, that would help.

As a teaser, the volume I now own (Die Angriffswaffen Aus Olympia) (Offensive Weapons at Olympia) has over three hundred original Saurauters illustrated. as well as many hundreds of arrowheads, more than a dozen swords, at least a hundred spear heads...

I don't speak a word of German (okay, now I know one word, angriffswaffen) but this book has already overturned things that I thought that I knew about Greek spears and saurauters. So--what other books are there in this series?

Help!

And finally, anyone want to start translating this? I suspect that it would be a public service for reenactors. I may try to pay a translator here in Canada, at least to do the swords part.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
The Olympishe verstugen were a series of publications put out by German archaeological researches in Olympia I am unaware if they are still being produced but i think they have been going for a very long time. Getting hold of past copies is somewhat of a challenge, I needed one for my research and i ended up finding a copy through an internet site from Maine! and yes they are all in German.

I recommend Bibloz http://www.biblioz.com/ (no affiliation) for traking down old copies
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
There is a preview of Band IV on Google:

http://books.google.com/books?id=69Vldz ... r=#PPP1,M1

If you get a hold of the book containing aspis images, I'd love some scans.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
You're on. I'll buy it in February, I expect.
Band 21, by E. Kunze, is on greaves (Beinschienen). I have seen it referred to as the foremost work on the development of greaves in the Greek world, but I have not personally consulted it.

If you have access to interlibrary loans, these are all widely available within North America. I've placed a loan on the offensive weapon, shield, and greaves ones, and I'll post my impression or some scans when I receive them.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Thanks. that's the kind of info I was looking for. At 145$ a piece, I really need to know.