Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow! I spotted an error in the Neue Pauly!!
The title of this topic says it all: the Neue Pauly is, except for one intentional mistake, a monument of erudition, and I have never found an error in it. Until today: there is an entry for Olba, and there is an entry for Diokaisareia - which is a bit too much, because this is one and the same city.

And since I am now pedantically showing off my knowledge: compare that printing blunder in the second edition of the Oxford Classical Dictionary, where the entry on "athletics" should refer to a book called Die antike Leibesübungen ("ancient body exercises"), but actually refers to Liebesübungen ("love exercises").
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hmmm. Not sure if I should congratulate you or be slightly worried :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:[...]where the entry on "athletics" should refer to a book called Die antike Leibesübungen ("ancient body exercises"), but actually refers to Liebesübungen ("love exercises").
perhaps is meant to be the same Big Grin

anyways

to mix up Leib and Lieb seems to be a standard error ... I see it more often wrong than right. Last time in a documentary about the Liebstandarte, err ... Leibstandarte of course. :o
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:to mix up Leib and Lieb seems to be a standard error ... I see it more often wrong than right. Last time in a documentary about the Liebstandarte, err ... Leibstandarte of course. :o

I suspect it's the whole 'i before e, except after c' thing. An interlingual equivalent to the many google results on 'marital arts'.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:'marital arts'
:lol:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:the Liebstandarte, err ... Leibstandarte of course. :o

Or Tolkein instead of Tolkien. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Michael Jackson spotted! Robert Vermaat 11 3,613 08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield Memmia 23 5,982 02-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Last Post: muskitear
  Spotted Dick On the Menu! Primvs Pavlvs 16 3,032 04-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Ironhand