Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books about the roman and/or ancient navy *naval warfare*
After much searching, I bought the following two books:

-Greek and Roman Naval Warfare; A Study of Strategy, Tactics, and Ship Design from Salamis (480 B.C. to Actium)
by William Ledyard Rodgers (Author)

-Naval Warfare Under Oars, 4th to 16th Centuries; A Study of Strategy, Tactics and Ship Design. (Naval Classical Library)
by William Ledyard Rodgers (Author)

Are there any other good books about the ancient naval warfare/tactics/ships around? I often check the Internet and bookstores but sadly, success is always pretty scarce :/
~Daniel
Hi Dan
Welcome to RAT. Please include your real (first) name in your signature. Forum rules!

There is more on ancient naval warfare and a lot more recent than Rodgers somewhat outdated books. For general interest, you'll want a copy of The Age of the Galley, ed.by JS Morrison.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I don't claim its a major piece of work but looking into the tactics of land based troops with naval forces in the North West of the Empire you could look at :

"Roman Britain and the Roman Navy", David Mason, Tempus Books, 2003

An excellent overview of all naval activities in Roman Britain. Especially useful for the Late Roman periods, the attention given to the east coast defences and the Saxon Shore Forts, and how these defences worked with the Roman navy.
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Quote:There is more on ancient naval warfare and a lot more recent than Rodgers somewhat outdated books. For general interest, you'll want a copy of The Age of the Galley, ed.by JS Morrison.

Ah, ok. Do you think I should cancel that book then? Not sure how outdated the information is after all :/
~Daniel
Depends on how addicted you are. In my opinion, it's severely outdated. For the ancient world, you get mostly a retelling of the well known historical narratives with an analysis colored by a thorough lesson of Mahan.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thanks. Just sent my cancellation Tongue
~Daniel
another old one, It was interesting reading tho . Roman Imperial Navy 31 bc.-324 ad. ,Chester G. Starr 1960.
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
And that's the 3rd edition... The first one dates to 1941. Drat, I need to finish that certain something. :roll:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
:lol: :lol: sad but true lost its place in a library 1978 ,anything recent regarding the punic war period worth an investment Jasper ?
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
If you can find them, the books by Thiel (History of Roman Sea Power in Republican period / Roman sea-power before the first punic war) are still good. There is now also Christa Steinby, The Roman Republican Navy. From the sixth century to 167 BC.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
thank you mate !
Hi Dan,

Here are three more I have come acroos. I've not read any of them yet so I can't really comment on their usefulness.

Bounegru, O. & Zahariade, M., Les Forces Navales du Bas Danube et de la Mer Noire aux Ier-VIe Siècles (Colloquia Pontica 2), (Oxford, 1996).

Christides, V., ‘Naval Warfare in the Eastern Mediterranean (Sixth-Fourteenth Centuries) - An Arabic Translation of Leo VI’s Naumachia’, Graeco-Arabica, 3 (1984), 137.

Dolley, R. H., ‘The Warships of the Later Roman Empire’, Journal of Roman Studies, 38 (1948), 47-53.
Stephen McCotter
I assume you're a German native speaker, so the following books might also be of some interest:

Barbara Pferdehirt/Konrad Weidemann, Das Museum für Antike Schiffahrt. Ein Forschungsbereich des Römisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseums (Bd I), Mainz 1995. - Detailed account on (mainly late) Roman war ships and navy troops, effectively an exhibition catalogue. Available second-hand from Amazon or at the (worth seeing!) museum itself.

Hans D. Viereck, Die römische Flotte - Classis Romana, Hamburg 1996. - Originally published in the 1970s, maybe a bit outdated, but a good academical overview. Most likely only available second-handed.

And at last a nice online article by Thomas Fischer with some further hints on books: LINK
Tilman
Quote:maybe a bit outdated, but a good academical overview
Except the problem is that he theorizes a lot, but only very seldom mentions his sources. Many of the drawings in his book made it online, but don't take them for gospel!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Another book in German:

Ronald Bockius "Schifffahrt und Schiffbau in der Antike"
Theiss Verlag, Stuttgart 2007
ISBN 978-3-8062-1971-5

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Ancient Warfare - Which Thema would like? Daritus 2 1,272 06-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Ancient Warfare Magazine / Back Issues Len Campey 2 1,429 07-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Len Campey
  Ancient Warfare XI-2: On the cusp of empire! Praefectusclassis 3 2,335 05-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding