Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion on the Emperor series
I've just started the emperor sereis by Conn Iggulden so I wanted to know How did you like it? How accurate was the series?
Entertaining. Not accurate. It is not bad if you just accept it as a fiction and don't expect much historical accuracy.
AKA Travis S.
Yes, an excellent novel!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I only read the first one and really hated it. It's so historically inaccurate, it's almost like "alternate history". Not historical fiction at all, IMO.
Aka
Christoph
He can tell a story but Braveheart showed how people's view of history can be influenced. The historical novelist has to be careful with the known facts. Usually the unknown facts leave plenty of leeway. Begining to sound like Rumpsfeldt!!
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Well, what we have to remember is a novel is usually fiction. That it uses a known character from history is just a useful reference.
It is certainly not soo incorrect, no more that the Rome series, not to be a good read.

I loved it in fact, and it got me back on the read of 'real' Roman history, the same way that the book Gates of Fire by Pressfield, encouraged me to read the real ancient Greek histories. I had been more involved in modern history for a very long time, and I owe both these authors a debt of gratitude for rekindling my interest in the ancient histories again.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Full of historical inaccuracies (not just details) but I enjoyed reading the series!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Well, Mummius, that's what novels are all about. Hooray that you were entertained!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
'Emperor' Ive read the whole series and I enjoyed them. As do I enjoy Simon Scarrows 'Eagle' series.
Authors do for some reason bend history to suit the plot. Each reader must take such books for what they are.
Anyone ever read 'Bolitho' or Hornblower'?? seafaring stories. Usually pretty accurate with dates, charts and and the seamanship but the swashbuckling is a little tongue in cheek.
I have periodic lapses and get bogged down by something like Tom Hollands 'Rubicon'. Ghaaaaaaaa politics

PS I have just started re reading book one of the Eagle series. I had forgotten what it was about.
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Dying aint much of a living.
~Well, at least we know where the Lorica Segmentata originated....
Caesar had them made out of silver for the Gladiators in his games..... Tongue
Or at least he bought enough silver for them, but then only plated them and pocketed the rest! :wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:~Well, at least we know where the Lorica Segmentata originated....
Caesar had them made out of silver for the Gladiators in his games..... Tongue
Or at least he bought enough silver for them, but then only plated them and pocketed the rest! :wink:

He would have done well in modern politics :wink:
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Dying aint much of a living.
There are those who might say that Caesar invented modern politics...so yep, he'd have done fine. Of course, the things he did were not new, but he certainly packaged things in a neat wrapper. But do you see where that got him?
Cry
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
There is a saying about a flock of crows and an eagle, which I think is very apt in this case!

And another one just as apt.

"It's hard to soar like an eagle when your surrounded by turkeys!" :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  book series: Emperor by Conn Iggulden Caius Lentulus 0 852 03-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Caius Lentulus