Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Patronage
The Patron - Client system was a basic component of life in Rome. I am your client and I want a position I cannot get on my own so I ask you my patron. You write a nice letter and now I have that post in the legion serving in Africa.

Now I am curious did the street go both ways?

Lets say my patron did get me that position in the legion by writing the legion commander. Now while I am there something bad happens. I try to rob the locals too much or just make poor decisions in battle and I cost the legion lots of men or money.

Will this just affect me or will it hurt the reputation of my patron who vouched for me and asked that I be given the position? Basically was there any risk for a patron when he recommended one of his clients?
Timothy Hanna
Oh yes. There certainly was a risk. I thought of one instance, but it doesn't fit exactly your example.

Fronto (the tutor of Marcus Aurelius) apparently befriended and / or recommended a gentleman by the name of Niger Censorius. Niger ended up dying, leaving Fronto a significant portion of his estate. Unfortunately in his will Niger attacked a favourite of Emperor Antonius Pius. Understandably, this ticked Antonius Pius off, and the horrified Fronto had to write the Emperor a very careful letter (he wanted the money, of course, but he was fearful of further annoying Antonius Pius. :wink: )

It is quite interesting, as we have the letter to Antonius, another explaining the matter to Marcus, and yet a third to the person who was verbally attacked. So we can see Fronto's scrambling all around.

He was quite embarrassed that one of his friends did this. However, it is not clear if Niger Censorius was actually a client of Fronto's or not. But clearly there was some sort of relationship that threatened to tear Fronto down by Niger's actions.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
So while skill and experience were secondary to recommendations from powerful people one can assume that those recommendationd generally only went to clients who could handle the position and not have any problems/embarassment track back to tha patron.
Timothy Hanna
I would like to think so. But it is clear that there was an amazing amount of nepotism going on. This was all quite open and viewed as very normal. Of course today such a thing in politics is almost unthinkable.

Here is another letter of Fronto to Antonius Pius, in which he is lobbying for the historian Appian.

Quote:The modesty of my friends has ensured that I should make no unworthy request for them… you have at my request enhanced the dignity of one Roman knight, Sextius Calpurnius, who lived with me (1), by the grant of two procuratorships already… For two years now I have been your suppliant for my friend Appianus… I feel certain and would be bold to affirm, that he will show the same modesty that my friend Calpurnius has. For it is to enhance his dignity in old age that he desires to attain this distinction, and not from ambition or coveting the salary of a procurator… your answer contained… that the moment you gave Appianus the procuratorship at my request, a flood of pleaders would gush forth asking a like favour…

(1) He was a student of Fronto’s, and so lived with him.

Letters of Fronto

Note that Fronto is quite clear what he wants: to reward a student with an honourable distinction. He isn’t arguing that Appian would be the best for the job, and acknowledges that Antonius Pius was worried about a flood of others asking similar favours.

In many cases these appointments were simply honours. Fronto himself was made a suffect consul, which was basically a honorary title under much of the Empire and took the place of the ordinary consuls who had the year named after them. Fronto’s main qualifications seem to have been his closeness to the Imperial family. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he was able to get out of his proconsulship in Asia after his “termâ€
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:I would like to think so. But it is clear that there was an amazing amount of nepotism going on. This was all quite open and viewed as very normal. Of course today such a thing in politics is almost unthinkable.

I am wondering how much it could come back to bite someone in the butt if the person put forward turns out to be a complete failure.
Timothy Hanna
Ave Civitas,

I was wondering, was there a formalized manner in which a Patron accepted a Client or things that a Client must do to formalize his being accepted by someone who would act as his Patron?

As always, thanks.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Most such relationships seems to have been hereditary or as the result of marriages, but sometimes new clients were also picked up. During a Roman's morning reception there were members of the general public milling around and wanting to get in to see him.

As far as I know, there was no 'formal' contract or ceremony or anything of the sort to accept a new client. But the order of precedence during the morning meetings was important. The clients went in first in order of importance, and then, if there was time and the Roman felt like it, some of the general public who wanted to meet him were allowed in. So if you met a Roman and expressed your interest in his patronage, and went back the next day, if he let you in to see him before the general public, that was a declaration of your relationship status as a client. That is probably the closest thing to a formality that I can think of.

One of the satirists complained about seeing this happen, and others being allowed in before him. He had wanted to be a client but evidently wasn't accepted. It was very shameful to petition such a relationship and be denied.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I accidently ran across something last night that might be interesting.

Quote:From his earliest years Gavius Clarus devoted himself to me as a personal friend, not only in those good offices with which a senator, lesser in age and rank, rightly honours and deserves well of another senator, higher in rank and older than himself. But gradually our friendship reached such a stage that, without dislike on his part or shame on mine, he could pay me the deference of a client, the respect that is shown by faithful and diligent freedmen: this not from any arrogance on my part or servility on his, but our mutual affection and genuine love did away with any reluctance for either of us in the regulation of our duties.

Letter of Fronto to Lucius Verus (Loeb Fronto II, 151)

Fronto seems to say that this relationship was similar to that of a patron and client, but developed gradually over time and via a pre-existing friendship. I don’t think Clarus actually was Fronto’s client, or else Fronto would have probably just called him one instead of comparing him to one. But it shows how relationships between people of unequal rank could take the same form.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
This may be oversimplifying things a bit, but I always viewed the Roman client/patron system as similar to what we see in the first scene in Godfather Pt. I. where Don Corlione is holding court and granting favors to those connected to the family in exchange for an implied future promise from the client to "pay off" the debt when called.

If the patron "vouched" for a client to secure a position, a loan, or something else and the client did not live up to expectations, the patron would certainly "lose face" with his peers and his influence wane.

I have to think that part of the reason Crassus was able to exert as much influence as he did (aside from being the richest man in town) was that he was good 'ole Gaius was his client and Crassus funded his prior elections. I am sure the "power sharing" arrangement amongst them grew out of that patron/client relationship.
There are some who call me ......... Tim?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Patronage romanonick 3 2,042 02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach