Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rat on the rise
http://isittrue.msn.com/slideshow.aspx? ... ORM=MSNIIT

...and in Europe they have access to most of the original equipment, museums, and sites...

Ralph I.
who resisted a snarky comment on local government
More ferrets are obviously required!

Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Statistically, it's quite likely. Most modern settlements are a paradise for rats - large amounts of waste and small animal life, few or no competitors, few predators, and an environment that favours social omnivores in their weight class. Even if we take the conservative estimate that there are 2 rats per urban dweller on average, that makes roughly as many rats as people worldwide, not counting wild populations.

I don't know why this fazes so many people. Rats don't interact much with people except in very unusual circumstances. We hardly ever see them (I live in a city with a large rat population, and I've maybe seen ten rats in my life that weren't either tame or laboratory animals).
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
In some areas, feral cats keep the rat population in check. In other places, forced sterilization of captured feral cats (followed by re-release in some cases) has resulted in a sharp rise in the rat population.

I live in the country, not the city, and there are many rats out here, along with snakes, field mice, and other kinds of rodents. I keep a batch of cats all the time. They are very diligent in keeping the area around the house free of rodents and reptiles. We don't mind at all: that's why we keep them. We do feed them regular cat food, but they hunt for fun, too. They don't do much with the raccoons and possums, though. They just stand at a distance and watch them eat the cat food. Grrr. I need bigger cats!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Los Angeles is loaded with rats. You see them after nightfall all the time there. They make nests in the tops of palm trees. Sometimes a car bumps into a palm, resulting in a rain of rats onto the hood. It can get lively if you're driving a convertible.
Pecunia non olet
I wonder if the seeming explosion in skin complaints is connected to these
creatures. :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:They make nests in the tops of palm trees. Sometimes a car bumps into a palm, resulting in a rain of rats onto the hood. It can get lively if you're driving a convertible.
Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Oh wow!
Seems one could make a fortune in pest control.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
The guys in Afganistan are keeping cats in their camps as well, kills rats, camel spiders and snakes.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Los Angeles is loaded with rats. You see them after nightfall all the time there. They make nests in the tops of palm trees. Sometimes a car bumps into a palm, resulting in a rain of rats onto the hood. It can get lively if you're driving a convertible.

Sounds like they could stand to borrow some of those semiferal cats that hang around Italian cities.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
I think from what I've seen on films about Raccoons David, I would stand back and watch them eat the damn cat food also.
Brian Stobbs
the world is obviously lacking in the Owls and Hawks department Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Yep. Raccoons look cute, but they have real teeth and claws, and they're fast as a cat, and probably smarter. A cornered raccoon can injure an adult human considerably until it is able to escape. But a .22 rifle turns their lights out, I find.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Cats are pretty useful, but as you say Dave, a gun solves the problems they can't! (As long as you live in the country that is)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think your a cruel devil you should leave those poor coons alone man.
Brian Stobbs
I think Byron is just as bad you killers.
Brian Stobbs