Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners)
Quote:I think maybe I should try another way to find out if I can get into some heads, can anyone out there tell me what a cast ring is doing on a beltplate (ie it's function) I would also add what I mentioned earlier Please don't say for money bag.

Hoo, could have any number of uses, but a lot would depend on just where on the belt such a plate is found. Have any been found in situ, or near enough to get an idea?

--Sword scabbard suspension (my first guess would be without a shoulder baldric)
--Decorative dangly
--If it's actually on the TOP edge of the plate, stick one of the lorica laces through it to hold the belt up--or hook it over a hook on the lorica, as on the Stillfried cuirass
--Belt apron suspension of some sort
--For making the soldier say "What's this little ring for on my belt?"...

Okay, the last one's a stretch, but it could be something we haven't thought of. On the whole, I'd lean towards scabbard suspension, assuming there are two of them, on the bottom edge of the belt. But there IS that hook on the Stillfried girdle plates...

John, I can easily add more links to RAT, though there is one already on the main page, and a few more scattered here and there on specific topics. I'll put it on my "to do" list!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Re: How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) - by Matthew Amt - 12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
standards - by derek forrest - 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,547 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  guttman gladius whit pugio munazio planco 7 2,335 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  Gladius and pugio munazio planco 3 1,609 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Last Post: d.carmichael