Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Reenactment grade gear? & Pugio/Gladius wearing
HAHAHAHAHAHAH...thanks for posting that Byron LOL

I'll have to shorten my baldric up...although it's not too bad on this pic:

http://www.romanarmy.com/legioiiiiff/yo ... gXXX02.jpg

Legion: TBD
Sorry, I just nicked the link from Jim! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sometimes I don't know what I'm doing in pictures...

http://www.romanarmy.com/legioiiiiff/au ... aoptio.jpg

Hey, its all about the laughs really! BTW, send some of that sun over here next year....we always get the leftovers from your winter weather, so share the good stuff too! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'll try...right now we're getting socked with snow and cold weather...but I'll see what I can do!

Actually, the snow I can live with too! Smile It's when we just get pissy and shitty wind and rain, it totaly ruins a good winter...
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
John

I too agree with the general consensus that it's going to end up being what you feel is accurate best to your budget, time and research. Perhaps a little on skill or learning one, in doing your own reconstruction work when you can.

This is afterall, a Hobby. One of the [many] mantras of Leg III Cyr is "We yake what we do pretty seriously, but we don't take ourselves all that seriously" Big Grin

We try to do the best with what we've got, what we can get, and what we can make, and try to copy as well as research what's known. I don't think you can ask for anything more than that.

Certainly there has been a couple of items that are currently available that we in Leg III and Leg XX "disagree" with in terms of how accurate or what's not proper to be wearing - as some of us have taken some of the "junk" list items and converted/"de-farbed" them to make them fairly descent to our view, and at a fraction of the cost. But that's what WE do. We have no problem if another group just has [new] members get something better at the get go...Certainly makes things easier in the end. Although we do mention that all of this Roman gear was made by hand, with different skill levels and quality, so why can't we do the same now? Most of the tools and techniques haven't changed at all since then....It's not Rocket Science. ;D

Aaanyway

Baldric... Ya know I've only started having trouble with how 'low' my Gladius sits in the last few months, probably in the last year. But I've not changed the length in about 5 years...So why now is it causing me trouble? But, I do want to try shortening up the baldric, as well as trying the configuration seen on that Armillium site. I think it's a neat idea and worth playing with.

As for the 4 suspension loops - I consider the idea of the 2-belts configuration to be in style well into the 70's if not 80's AD, but the single belt with baldric is also seen since I'd say around 9 AD - so it could just as well be the manufactures of Gladii were making the scabbards with all 4 loops and leaving it up to the individual soldier to decide how he's going to suspend his sword and how many loops to use.

Sort of like driving your friend's car - A car is a car - wheels, steering, gas, brake...transmission we'll leave out to simplify my silly analogy - but you'd still need to adust the seat and mirrors to make the car fit you better. Still drives the same way. Swords are swords. Pointy end goes into enemy, handle you hold. Maybe your buddy likes his sword strapped to a second belt, you like it on a baldric. Whatever floats your boat Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
So it seems most agree that that the XX handbook is OK (If needing some updating) but the best place for detailed research on the latest finds trends and product reviews (and generally accepted general "Standards") is right here on RAT

So would it be appropriate for Matthew (when he has the time) to add a link to RAT on the introduction page of the handbook saying something like " For additional research on gear look here"? He has a link to RAT but it is on the "*LINKS--Other Roman Groups and Websites" and doesn't mention equipment research etc.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote:So would it be appropriate for Matthew (when he has the time) to add a link to RAT on the introduction page of the handbook saying something like " For additional research on gear look here"? He has a link to RAT but it is on the "*LINKS--Other Roman Groups and Websites" and doesn't mention equipment research etc.

I think that's up to Matt Amt himself. Who are we to tell him what is appropriate on his website?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:So would it be appropriate for Matthew (when he has the time) to add a link to RAT on the introduction page of the handbook saying something like " For additional research on gear look here"? He has a link to RAT but it is on the "*LINKS--Other Roman Groups and Websites" and doesn't mention equipment research etc.

Appropriate would be people not requiring to be spoon fed all the time. Part of doing research is reading through an entire website, which the 20th's handbook should be done anyway if you're a reenactor. In which case you'd see the link to RAT and come here, notice the "R&R" section and be well on your way.

Gaius Julius Caesar\\n[quote][Image: DSCF0400-1.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0410.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0412.jpg]

OK, apart from my slightly sloppy appearence, and the angle of the gladius, it is pretty much under my armpit when in a more vertical position.

Also Suarus has his in similar configuration, and with a seg on, mine rides higher too.

It does work Brian.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hey, Byron -- some nice kit you've got there, mate!

Nice impression. Big Grin

Regards,

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Thanks for the compliment Edge! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'm glad to see someone else has trouble keeping those pesky hamata hooks doing what they're supposed to. At least I have good rivets now, but I'm not sure the hooks will stay together. Altogether, a very nice set of gear.

I like that weighted pilum...is the ball lead? What's it weigh, and how far can you throw it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yeah it is a pain that...the hook thing.

Yes it's lead, not sure the exact weight, but it feels 'just right'
and so far the overwhelming urge to throw it at something just to see the damage it will do has been resisted.....and curbed in those who have gotten their sticky paws on it.... :lol: (yeah, I know, a real spoilsport) :twisted:

The regular pila we use feel really light and inadequate now in comparison, not saying they are too light though.
Mind you, the new deepeeka pila is way too heavy for what it is supposed to be.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Website for Reenactment Gear Jon Blaze 3 1,634 02-19-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) Tarbicus 275 72,212 07-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,530 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe