Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celtic Squared end sword
Just wondering if anybody has any info on this sword?

I have always loved it and looking at getting a re-production of it. Can you tell me size (length, blade width) and time and location?

[Image: LTDoubleFullerLgRing.jpg]
thanks
Are we sure the point isn't simply snapped off? Seems an odd shape for a sword point.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Andy I have two pics of it but dont know any more but maybe the info panel next to it may give a clue.
Regards brennivs Big Grin
[Image: 07190533.jpg]
[Image: 07190534.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hmm. The scabbard has a flat tip as well, and the length of the blade seems to tally with the scabbard's length.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Tony, I have just one other photo of it with that scabbard in black and white but that close up of the hilt is a beauty Big Grin

The end isnt snapped off, these style of swords were common in the Late La Tene period. I would just like to put some dimensions, a date, and location to it.

[Image: LaTeneDoubleFullerBallPom.jpg]
Ewart Oakeshott in "Archaeology of Weapons" lists this sword as c. 300 BC from Lindholmgard, Denmark. He describes it (p.56) as 3.5 c. wide at the hilt, tapering to 3 c. at the "Point" which he describes as ending "abruptly in a graceful double curve, slightly cusped in the middle." He states that there is a very similar sword that was found at Moringen in Switzerland and is now in the Landsmuseum in Zurich.
Pecunia non olet
Theres info here but not on this particular sword.
http://www.ironagearmoury.com/swords_of ... on_age.htm

3.5cm seems pretty thin
Quote: these style of swords were common in the Late La Tene period.

I don't think they can be described as common as they represent a minority in finds. They tend to be the longer swords and the theory is that they were cavalry items used for cutting only.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Britain Celtic 1st Century AD Shield + Sword Belt Antoninus05 12 5,218 03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Last Post: bloodseekerboi1
  And one more Celtic sword Caballo 8 3,213 09-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Photos- First century Celtic sword Caballo 2 1,987 08-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Last Post: john m roberts