Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the Legio IX Hispana stationed on the danube at the-
-Time it's disappearance? I read it was stationed on the danube and vanished when it went to put down a Chatti revolt can anyone tell me?
I found a realy long discussion here: antoninuspius.blogspot.com
** Vincula/Lucy **
Thanks Smile
If I may quote myself...

Quote:The last recorded, datable activity of this legion in Britain was in 108/109, when it built a stone fortress at York. What happened next, is unclear. Several scholars have argued that it was defeated and annihilated by the Picts, maybe in 117/118, and that this caused the emperor Hadrian to build the famous wall in northern England. (This is the assumption of the famous novel by Rosemary Sutcliff, The Eagle of the Ninth, 1954.)

However, more recent research has shown that (a subunit of) the ninth legion was for a brief period after 121 at Nijmegen in Germania Inferior. ... The fact that we know the names of several high officers of the Ninth who can not have served earlier than 122 (e.g., Lucius Aemilius Karus, governor of Arabia in 142/143), is another indication that the legion was not destroyed but transferred. This proves that it was still in existence during the reign of Hadrian.

After this, the legion disappears from our sources. It may have been destroyed during the Jewish revolt of Simon ben Kosiba (132-136), in Cappadocia in 161, or during a revolt on the Danube in 162. There is an inscription from the reign of Marcus Aurelius (161-180) that sums up all legions, and VIIII Hispana is missing; this means that it was destroyed before or during his reign.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
What I want to know is was it stationed on the danube frontier?
Sometimes, we do not like to think about the future.

99AD is a good year.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
What?!
If I may again quote from my own article, VIIII Hispana was probably near the Danube twice:
Quote:In 83, a subunit of VIIII Hispana fought against the Chatti, a Germanic tribe near Mainz in Germania Superior. Perhaps as many as 1,000 men were away from Britain, which seems to have caused some difficulties during Agricola's war. It is possible, perhaps likely, that a subunit took part in Trajan's invasion of Dacia, but this is not proven.
This was not the unit's first visit to the Balkans:
Quote:the legion was at Pannonia, where it is firmly attested in 14, the year of the death of Augustus. Here, in the city of Siscia (modern Sisak) on the confluence of the rivers Colapis (Kupa) and Savus (Sava), it permanently stayed until 43.
All this from Ritterling and Le Bohec.
Jona Lendering
My website
I mean was on the danube at the time of it's disappearance Smile
Quote:I mean was on the danube at the time of it's disappearance Smile
Simple: we don't know. We only know that it disapeared between 122 and 180. That leaves three major wars: the revolt of Bar Kochba, the Parthian war of Lucius Verus (which was provoked by the destruction of a legion), and the Marcomannic wars. The army of the Danube is pretty well-known; the main bases have been excavated. The only evidence for the presence of VIIII Hispana at the Danube is one diploma that mentions a legionary (published in Chiron 2 [1972] 449-457). The date is unknown, but second century. That is very little evidence from a well-researched area.

On the other hand, the Euphrates frontier is not so well-known; there has been little research and many archaeological sites have been inundated. We know for certain that a legion was destroyed in 161, when it invaded -led by "a silly Celt"- Armenia. That this unit was VIIII Hispana is now more or less accepted, but it may also have been XXII Deiotoriana. The matter remains, as Keppie summarizes in his article in the Bohec book, "a subject of contention to this day".
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alae stationed in Novaesium (Neuss) claste 0 435 05-04-2019, 12:11 AM
Last Post: claste
  Legio IX Hispana origins Konstantin Ankilov 4 1,416 03-31-2018, 05:59 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Soldiers stationed in Nazareth in 5-4 BCE Sigurdrifa 14 5,091 03-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Banzai