Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstruction- Real Scutum Mini-Test
Thanks Sean, you too- I'll be curious to hear how your testing goes.

I can't say I'm surprised about the pilum- earlier this year I played around with a recreation I made (copy of a Vindonissa shape) and was surprised at the lack of penetration power it had just in my lawn at about 15m. Given how tough I found the scutum board to be against a sword, I'd be surprised if a pilum would penetrate much either.

Was your rawhide like the heavy stuff you get from Tandy (or whomever) or was it parchment as the artifacts have? That's a very important point of course since there'd be a significant difference between the behaviours of the two.

And thanks for the reference- it'll be interesting to hear about another scutum given how few there are...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Thin rawhide.

Hbernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Cool- 0.5mm was what (IIRC) Dr. James told me the Dura has and having worked with it and tested it, it's pretty weak- not something that's likely going to do much except add 0.5mm more material between you and some barbarian's pointy thing LOL
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Brilliant, Matt, most interesting data! Your attention to the authenticity of the material and construction of the test object makes your experiment particularly noteworthy.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Thanks Alex :wink:

It might be over thinking things again, but while most consider the great size of the scutum as its major benefit in Roman-style close-combat, I now wonder if the 'other' effects, given that they are particularly troublesome at close-range, might not have been more than just nice side-effects.
My apologies to all.... seems the white and grey hairs on me 'ed are an indication of the seepage of "grey matter"... the partial shield board I referenced earlier was alder over oak .. Doncaster board.... .. mentioned in Roman Military Equipment, .. I knew that.

Hibernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
I have to agree wit hyour wonderings about the shape and design of the scuta haveing more to it than just a big shield Matt.

It seems obvious that the design has a great deal going for it, and you tests are a great proof of that.

We were doing some drills earlier this year, and out target was a leather faced scutum.
Gladius point was similar in its penetration, albeit it was not of the strip construction, but as was mentioned, is definately a composit armour of its time.

I am glad you have gone down the strip consruction route! The more the merrier! Looking forward to seeing more of your tests, and yours too Hibs.

Also looking forward to that scutum, Hibs! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh yeah, after I made my first one 3 1/2 years ago, I knew it was the only way I'd make scuta- I just get requests for so many other things the second one was only a very recent project :wink:
Hi Matt!

Excellent work! Laudes!
What kind of glue did you employed to make it?
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA
Thanks Jose Big Grin

It's 315g strength hide glue- likely from cattle skin.
Great!

I made an iberian oval shield, with birch wood, linen and cow leather, all glued with natural adhesive from ox. It really makes it stronger!

Nevertheless, i didn't used weapons against it... Surely, the next one!

Congratulations again!
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Test A Scutum Hibernicus 30 7,971 04-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Last Post: scythius
  Scutum reconstruction - advice needed Tarbicus 30 5,777 12-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes