Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Event in Michigan set for spring 2010
The Iceni Tribe of Michigan and their allies Legion XXIV have been working to get an event together here in Michigan, that will cater to reenactors from the midwest, eastern half of the country, canada and whoever else decides to come. We have finally secured a site for such an event just outside my home town, the land belongs to the Edsel and Eleanor Ford Estate and is massive. This event would be a timeline event featuring Romans and Celts as the host time period.

I am posting this because we are in the early stages of planning and we are trying to establish how interested people would be in this kind of event. The event would run friday- sunday in April or May 2010, it would be open on Friday as there are a few dozen local schools that are interested in attending as learning field trips.

So if you are interested in attending something like this or your interested in helping plan such an event please post a response any input would be greatly appreciated.

As the planning process moves along I'll keep you all updated, or if you have any questions about where the site is or what it is like let me know I'd be glad to let you know.
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)
i am a lone impressionist 1st century AD, LEGIIAPF, but i will be back from iraq dec 2009, so i am looking for an event for sure in 2010, as many as i can manage! please keep my updated, i can bring my wife and afew friends if i manage to draft them. we do cooking from de rei coquinaria as well and i am an artist specializing in classical motifs. looking forward to it.
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Hey everybody, I have a meeting with the board of directors from the property next week, we are meeting to dicuss among other things what kind of activities we would want to happen during the event and what type of area we would need to set aside for such activities.
So I am posing a question to you all, even if you would not be able to attend such an event, "If you could create you perfect event, what would be some of the things you would want there?" please post something, it would be greatly appreciated.
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Salvete

Legio XXX, cohors III is interested. We could supply up to six people to an event and be able to contribute tents to a roman camp. Would this event be open to the public, or be closed to just reenactors like Lafe? Please keep us informed what you decide to do.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
The event would be open to the public, and as I said earlier it will be a timeline event so there will be many periods portrayed but being a roman and barbarian reenactor I plan to feature our time period. This event will also be home to several vendors, some historical and some modern (a few of the sponsors are restaurants so they are wishing to set up a stand.)

Depending on the interest the price will go down, but as of now it will cost each reenactor about $20-$25 to participate, this cost will help pay for firewood, water, and hay bales for use in tactical demos as well as use as bedding aswell as paying for the porto potty rentals and helping pay for some security and medical staff.

The event site will hopefully feature, a tactical field around the size of a football field for whatever demos the time periods desire, a suttlers alley with vendors, aswell as a hands on area where the public can try leather work, wood work, cooking, or any other historical skills somebody wants to teach.

As for camps, I do not think we will be able to dig up the ground and make an actual roman camp like I would like, but with some hay bales and maybe some reed partitions we can assemble a mock up of one. The general layout of the event will be like a small city in a basic T shape,a central path will be established leading from the parking lot to a "town square" which will be the place for music or any other non military performances, surrounding the "town square" will be the suttlers. Completing the T will be two more broad paths leading away from the "town square" and ending at one end with the demo field and at the other the hands on area. Branching off from the main path along the way will be the different time periods, probable broken into a few different sections. I know this may seem like wishful thinking but I can dream can't I? The site is long and narrow and is enclosed by a road on two sides, woods private property on another and a river on the last side. The T will stretch from the parking lot at one end and end the top part of the T will be parallel to the river.

So for all those who are considering attending, the cost will be around $20, you will be able to stay on site, firewood will be provided, water will be provided, hay will be provided, the event will be open to the public Friday- Sunday (Friday being aimed mostly at local schools, we will close early on sunday approx. 2 pm to allow relaxed tear down and easier travel.) You will be allowed fires (not sure we will be able to dig pits or have to use metal pans), you will be able to park on site and access your vehicles all day and night.

Please post any suggestions you have
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Since Lafe usually comes in March/April around Spring Break, I'd suggest holding the event in May. Less conflict of interest, considering the relatively short distance between the two venues. It's always sad to make people choose between this OR that, when it could be possible to choose this AND that, you know?

Just my thought, though...do what the landowners will allow.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yea we are looking at May, it is a little further into spring, its not into mosquito season but it is warmer than in March. I would love to have a large ancient turn out, if you or your groups are interested please let me know and I will put on the list, and get you some more information once I get it.
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Though Michigan is the closest to Montana I've heard a reenactment take place, it's still too far for me. I dont have the money for the trip, or to actually buy all the authentic equipment right now. My stuff is pretty cheap. Sad
I'd like to be there though, maybe if it was in a border state to me. But according to the rest of the world nobody lives near here, so I'm out of luck...
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Everybody has to start somewhere, J. That's over a thousand miles from my driveway, too. Lafe is 714. Everything is far in Texas, seems like, but we have good roads.

There's over a year to prepare, though, and as the event gets closer, and more folks hear about it, you might be able to pick up a rideshare from maybe somebody in Oregon or somewhere like that. Keep an ear to the wire....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, I hope that since there is a year to plan it we will be able to get a large roman and barbarian turnout.
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Leg X Fre II Cohort will be there, since we are still growing and its over a year away still I don't know what our numbers will be by then, but hopefully it will be a descent sized group!
Quintus Licinius Aquila
aka. Kevin Williams

Optio Leg X E V
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romechicago.com">http://www.romechicago.com
Good to hear!

Hey Kevin I heard you fellas had a good time at reenactorfest, I wish I could have gone but school is hard to work around. I assume you met David Smith, hes one of my colleagues and the commanding officer of our allied legion, are you guys thinking about going to Lafe?
(AKA Justin Hawley)
I am planning on going down to Lafe, not sure who else will be going though, hard to work around real life schedules. Yeah, we spent alot of time with David, hes a great guy, and I think I had a little to much fun at Reenactor Fest, I found out pretty quick why hobnails and polished wood dance floors don't work well together (though I am proud that i didn't spill any of my full beer)
Quintus Licinius Aquila
aka. Kevin Williams

Optio Leg X E V
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romechicago.com">http://www.romechicago.com
Wonderful, good to hear your coming down to Lafe, I know my first trip to Lafe was memorable, well have to share a brew while we are there and discuss this event, unfortunatly I wont be able to spend to much time with you guys, I will be busy acting as the Druid priest for the enemy.
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Just a reminder that 4th Castra Asetivia is set for May 23 & 24th 2009. The event is located just south of Tillsonburg in Ontario which is 2 hours drive from Port Huron or 3 hours from Detroit and about 2.5 hours from Buffalo We have been holding the event on the Memorial weekend and we would not want your date 2010 to interfere with ours. The event is an opporuntiy for Romans and others to practice their weapon, leadership and drill skills. The site is on 200 acres and comprises of a partially built roman marching camp. This year we will be having a lamb roast and awards for leadership, archery and pilum competitions. Please keep me posted about your 2010 as the LEG XXX will wnat to attend. Titus Quartinius Saturanlus.
email [email protected]
T. Quartinius Saturnalus
Legio XXX

AKA Tom Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cohort V Spring Camp M. Demetrius 8 2,446 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Late Roman event in the US, 2010 Robert Vermaat 0 930 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat