Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translation of the "Gallic Wars"
I have recentley heard that the characters of Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo in the series Rome were based on actual centurions in Cesar's legions in the Gallic campaigns. Apparently they are referred to by name in his commentaries. As I don't read latin I wondered if there is a readily available english translation that I could obtain or can anyone point me to to a source that might contain this information.

As I understand it, they were contemporaries and very competitive in performing acts of bravery and daring, always trying to outdo one another.

Anyone know of these characters or have any further info?

Cheers,
Pict (Andy)
Andrew son of Andrew of the family Michie, of the clan Forbes highlanders to a man from our noble forebears the blue painted Pict, scourge of the legions.
This is probably useful to you:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=8569
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thank you Jim for the reference. I didn't think to search it before posting. I'll try to remember to do that next time.

Cheers,
Pict (Andy)
Andrew son of Andrew of the family Michie, of the clan Forbes highlanders to a man from our noble forebears the blue painted Pict, scourge of the legions.
Here is the Gallic Wars on line http://classics.mit.edu/Caesar/gallic.html
They are mentioned in Book 5 chapter 44.
Also you can get the translations by Penquin or oxford at most bookshops.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome Vs the Gauls: the score before the gallic wars. Anonymous 11 2,957 09-03-2002, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius