Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double hand grips on the aspis
Giannis wrote:
Quote:Paullus,my comment was not in that it was me that invented the carrying rope idea. Sorry, that's the way it read to me...
However I have read none explaining the actual positioning and number of the fittings. Don't the number of 'rings/fittings vary in depictions? Likely because they are the products of individual craftsmen...
You may consider it "obvious",yet none has ever mentioned it. Sorry? you've lost me here. Nowhere have I said anything about this is 'obvious'
None that I am aware of,at least. In fact nor Philip Blyth and you nor Snodgrass have "invented" .....I didn't say that was the case, merely pointing out that the idea is not new among 'modern' commentators.... the theory,snce there are vases showing the shield being carried by the ropes.
Could you post an example??
The question is not if it was practice -i think Paul B wouldn't doubt in that either),it is if carrying was the major purpose,and why the rope had that characteristic shape.
What do you mean by 'characteristic shape'? The fact that it is shown 'slack' and hanging?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Double hand grips on the aspis - by PMBardunias - 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Hand Grips on the Aspis - by Paullus Scipio - 12-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Aspis Hand Grips - by Paullus Scipio - 12-04-2008, 02:59 AM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 01-08-2009, 09:08 PM