Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetius and slings
check out : www.slinging.org

the guy who made this website also mentions slings are more accurate than arrows....

although i have to admit : i just started to sling myself and have serious doubts about this statement....
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
I've gotten my slinging down to about 65.
That's a probable direction of around 65 degrees from where my eye was looking at the time of release. My hat's off to those guys who can actually hit a target. I have a box of tennis balls, and a sling that is the right size to hurl them. It's anything but intuitive how to time the release.

But reports from the ancients indicate they were able to do some pretty good marksmanship (if that's the right word). Then again, they began slinging about the time they could hold a sling and pick up a rock. That was their juvenile athletic pasttime, I guess. Like US kids used to play baseball, and European kids scrimmage at soccer. It was also a real needful skill for shepherds, who often entered that profession at a young age. Judges 20:16 (an obvious hyperbole, but still a good indicator of accuracy)

Slinging into a mass of men didn't require precision accuracy, though, just volume of projectiles and rapid reloading. I made some ceramic ammo from terra cotta, using a meatball press. I fired some in the pit, and others I just left dry and hardened. When I get a little more accurate, I'll take some of those and see what they do. I'm sure they will greatly outrange the tennis balls.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Over on the 'Celtic Impressions' thread there are some pics of a camp here in Oz, which includes some javelin and slinging results ....apparently good accuracy at 100 paces ......( c.83 yards; 76m Confusedhock: )
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:It was also a real needful skill for shepherds, who often entered that profession at a young age.
I read that too, but I wonder that they actually did to the sheep. I mean how can you guide a flock just with a sling??? :? ? ?
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
You use it to "nudge" strays back to the group. You don't control the whole flock with it. Slings were also used to discourage predators.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
A wolf that gets clobbered by an egg-sized stone seemingly out of nowhere will become pretty skittish, not to mention bruised.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I no longer have the link, perhaps someone else does, but one of the slinging sites had some video taken from right next to the target. The sound of passing stones and the force of impact are very impressive to see for real. Psychologically, I'd rather recieve arrows.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
I've been hit by lead shot, and it's no joke. :evil:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Analytically, GJC, where were you hit. Explain it to us, the hows and wheres, that sort of thing. Safe to say you have a fairly unique experience that you could share some really good information with your mates here.

Even if nobody else wants to know, I do. Would you please?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Analytically, GJC, where were you hit. Explain it to us, the hows and wheres, that sort of thing. Safe to say you have a fairly unique experience that you could share some really good information with your mates here.

Even if nobody else wants to know, I do. Would you please?
Indeed. This information must be shared. Else we're required to believe, that - as in most cases where no detailed explanation is :roll: Wink lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionaries with slings Vexillation 15 5,772 11-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius