Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check These oot, Min! New helmets from E. Konig!!
I think that I must point out I do not wish in any way to criticize the work of Erik Konig, nor indeed any other armourer for that matter. I do also understand as Byron has pointed out that much praise was given some time ago when my copy of this helmet appeared on RAT, I do also see his point that he put Konig's work there for those who may wish to have his helmet in the future. What I think I should also mention is that I do not intend to make another copy of the "WEISENAU 369" which is the correct museum catagorization given to it when found. The name Gallic "D" was given by H.R. Robinson and I may be correct in thinking that it is Robinson's influence that appears in Konig's Helmet. With all due respect indeed to H. R. Robinson for the wonderfull work he did, I have to say that what he tells us about this helmet is misleading. This can be found when we look at the Helmet made by Konig, where I think he has followed Robinson and not Lindenschmit.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Below are the links to the helmet Brian Stobbs made. All the rosettes on this helmet are silver and the edging has a "rope" like design. Lindenschmit mentions that the left cheek piece with the brass rossettes was a replacement since the right cheekpiece has the same rossettes as are present on the rest of the bowl. I also included a photo of the same reconstructed helmet with the cheekpiece containing brass rosettes.
Brian Stobbs, in my opinion, has truly mastered this helmet.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... helmet.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... can015.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... allicD.jpg

I am not taking away anything from Konig who in my opinion is an excellent craftsman but we must also recognize others who are capable of the art as well.

Oh My! thats Beautiful!! Definatly a very wealthy Centurion!! (lots of looting!) Was this a one off make Brian?
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
Read the posts :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Read the posts :wink:

Yeh yeh! Tongue

I wonder if it would be possible to modify an existing helmet to look like this? like totally Pimp one of the Depeeka ones... "Pimp My Helm!"

Of course it is possible to Pimp an existing helmet. If you've a helmet with the correct bowl you're half-way. Of course it wouldn't be out of one part then, but yeah, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a custom made one out of one piece.
ALA I BATAVORUM
It was just a one off make Kevin but what I'm begining to think now is that Doc appears to have overshadowed Byron's original link about Erik Konig's work.
Brian Stobbs
Welll, you could try. It would require the fabrication of a new brow guard, as the present ones are cast I believe, then of course the work to do the
chevrons, the cheekpieces, the rosettes etc....

I would rather pay for Brians version, but that is not an option unfortunately Sad roll:

But still, on subject, the helmets by Eric are made to measure, and I would actually like the C or the D.

I have always liked the style of cheekguards on the C
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Actually Brian, I am glad the comparison was made, as i was thinking about the difference in the browguard myself.

But, as they are both the works of masters in the craft, hardly out of place! I think if I were to ask for that helmet from Erik, I would also show him your work and the photo you used as the basis.

BTW, have you given any more thought to what we discussed when I was over at your place? Big Grin
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Of course it is possible to Pimp an existing helmet. If you've a helmet with the correct bowl you're half-way. Of course it wouldn't be out of one part then, but yeah, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a custom made one out of one piece.

Yeh i was thinking that.. What are the Red stones that are embedded into the helmet? Carnelian? or is it reallly a stone at all?

Check your PM Byron
Brian Stobbs
Already done that Brian! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

I know that the thread of Brian's helmet was already mentioned. However, I removed the pictures from photobucket. Thus if you were to try and read the previous thread there would be nothing to look at.

Brian,

My intention was not to disrupt the thread but since there were questions about the helmet, I thought it would be best to post something that Lindenschmit had a strong influence on.

Again, as I have mentioned in other threads, if a helmet is made in the original fashion but lacks the "proper" knowns, then it is no better than a helmet that has some discrepencies in its production but resembles the original strongly.

Thus if you can convert a Deepeeka helmet into the "Gallic D", go for it. I believe Dan Peterson took an exisitng bowl that was not from a Gallic D originally and had it convered into the Gallic D. It looks quite nice.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
The red pieces in the studs are refered to as being Coral, however on the "D" they do not appear on the rivets holding the peek.
Brian Stobbs
Doc, that would be a pity then for sure. Thanks for the posting of the pictures of your helmet.

However, I would not go so far as to dismiss Eriks work out of hand.
It is heads above what you can find available most places, even if expensive.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
jvrjenivs:9wugx2mw Wrote:Of course it is possible to Pimp an existing helmet. If you've a helmet with the correct bowl you're half-way. Of course it wouldn't be out of one part then, but yeah, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a custom made one out of one piece.

Yeh i was thinking that.. What are the Red stones that are embedded into the helmet? Carnelian? or is it reallly a stone at all?

The brass cups suggest the red is enamel, as seen on pugiones, as opposed to coral which is normally covering the rivet head.

For a pimped Deepeka, check out Ade's lovely job here:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=23696
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!