Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deepeeka coolus
have there been any significant improvements made to the deepeeka coolus G in the past 2 years?, just wondering if I should update soon. also, 3 people in my group bought 3 different models of coolus, and none had a rear chinstrap attachment, or even a hole drilled for the rivet, is this the norm?, it is easily fixed though, so has not posed a big problem.<br>
<br>
<br>
TFAMB<br>
TESSER<br>
COH I NERV<br>
<p></p><i></i>
aka., John Shook
Last year I purchased a Deepeeka coolus G from La Wren's Nest. Referring to the phots in Robinson, it appears to be a fair recreation of the original. The small details that are missing are easily replaced. These are the changes that I made to mine:<br>
<br>
1. removed the screw holding the crest knob and soldered it in place<br>
2. fabricated a feather holder for the left side<br>
3. Added cheek padding<br>
4. and of course, I added a ring to the underside of the neck guard for a chin strap. <p></p><i></i>
I´m about to set up a Teutoburg impression and this thread interests me quite some. Problem is I have no experience in modifying such pieces. Where would I get the missing parts and how would you set it up? <p></p><i></i>
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
To fabricate the feather holder, I simply purchased some brass tubing having the same wall thickness as what Deepeeka used from on-line metals:<br>
<br>
www.onlinemetals.com/<br>
<br>
I then flattened on end and rounded the edges using my bench grinder. 3/16 inch round head brass rivets may be found at:<br>
<br>
www.rjleahy.com/<br>
<br>
The chin strap ring I made from some scrap brass that I had laying around.<br>
<br>
Cheek padding is mode from 1/4 inch felt wrapped in fabric. The pads are then glued in place. <p></p><i></i>
So, Mr. Anonymous, could you point us to a picture of your modified helmet? We're interested in seeing it.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
When getting the Coolus G (Drusenheim helmet) make sure it is the N version. The previous encarnation was nowhere near as accurate.

See the Deepeeka thread on the helmet in the Marketplace section.

The Drusenheim helmet is dated to mid to late first century and would not be an accurate choice for an Augustan period soldier impression Ebusitanus. Best off going for the Coolus C or D models.
How many old threads are you going to dig up today, David? Just curious. "Bring out your dead!"

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
What do you guys think of a "coolus E" for Augustan impressions? There are corresponding cheek pieces from Haltern.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
D and E seem to have been reasonably contemporary Christian, so I'd say yes.
Quote:How many old threads are you going to dig up today, David? Just curious. "Bring out your dead!"
That's what happens when one is responsible and uses the search function instead of just starting a new thread, bro. :wink: :lol: :lol: But what the heck, a guy's gotta try, right?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modifying an Old Deepeeka Coolus C kevair464 14 6,701 08-14-2016, 02:49 AM
Last Post: JoeSmoe69