Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check These oot, Min! New helmets from E. Konig!!
Quote:The only Wiesenau 'Gallic' types with side plumes are the 'F' from Besançon, and the 'I' types from Mainz, Budapest and ex Axel Guttmann collection. The Gallic 'A' type from Eich has holes on the browguard which could have been used for side plumes.

For the sake of completeness: The Weisenau helmet from Straubing, Bavaria also has plume holders (it is not in the Robinson book so I am not sure how you would classify it under Robinson).
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:For the sake of completeness: The Weisenau helmet from Straubing
Straubing Wiesenau???? pics Jens?

Quote:I think Adrian that when one looks close at the pic you have put up of the "C" Jef said to bad the rosettes are missing but did it have rosettes I wonder. For we get a good look at the cheekplate and the neckguard and to my eyes it looks like there are cup holders for inlays but not a lot of evidence that rosettes were ever there. I just wonder if we can have another style of decoration here.

It's not the Sisak C Brian but the Verdûn D. :wink:

The same decoration can be seen on some other helmets. (without rosettes/bosses) I agree, I think the Verdûn helmet appears to have been inlaid with coral. Here's a great example
[Image: Typ20Weisenau20Endfoto2012a.jpg]
I got a bit mixed up there Adrian been looking at so many helmets lately don't know which way is up sorry about that.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Straubing Wiesenau???? pics Jens?

Adrian,

I emailed you a small pic of the Straubing helmet and a copy of the publication (unfortunately in German). I apologize for the quality of both.

In a nutshell: found in a pit near the outer wall of the older wooden fort in Straubing. No accompanying material that would allow a dating. Dated on purely typological grounds to the Flavian period.

There is a much better pic in “Die Römer in Bayernâ€
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Oi!! Share please!!! Another helmet!!!!! 8) D D
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
From the photo that I received from Jens, I would say that it fits nicely into Robinson's Type 'E' classification it having similar features of the neck guard and eyebrows, but with side tubes in the manner of the 'F' from Besançon.

The biggest differentiator being the quite wide silver brow band.
Quote:Oi!! Share please!!! Another helmet!!!!! Cool Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I made a scan of the photos in "Die Römer in Bayern" over the weekend and sent it to Adrian. For copyright reasons I do not believe that I can publish it here but if somebody needs a copy, send me your email address by PM.

BTW, the helmet is in the Gäubodenmuseum in Straubing, maybe somebody living nearby could take photos for the helmet database.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Jens,

Could you not post the other (colour) photo taken in the Museum?
I did not take it, I found it somewhere on the internet but lost the source.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Then it is already in the public domain! :wink:
Sounds cool! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
[Image: Straubing1.png]
Thanks Ade,

Interesting helmet. Look like that is where Erik gets his eybrow style from? It would take a bit of skill to raise them like that!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel