Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz scabbard question
After staring at my Mainz blade for several months, I am going to have to go after it here in the next few days. Was wondering if a thick leather scabbard or a wooden covered in thin leather with the embossed plates over it are more correct?

I know I have the book that has the info, but it is currently hiding from me. On the last Pompeii I did, it was wood under leather. I really think I am loosing my mind, or my brain cells have begun thinning the herd so to speak!!

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Salve Wes,

All Mainz scabbards that I know of had a wooden core - the Vindonissa Mainz-type sword used limewood. To add support to this, there was guttering (either brass or iron) soldered at the top by a locket-plate, and at the bottom by a chape-terminal. This seems to have been the standard method of contruction. The various chronological styles may have varied in detail, but the basic construction principles remained the same.

The wooden core would most likely have been covered with leather, though some later swords used fabric instead (ref Dura Europas report - Simon James).

Almost all surviving scabbards had at least some metal framework.

The best book on the subject is Christian Miks' monograph (in German), very expensive but nothing else comes close!

Hops this helps.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Gasp! It's Wes, thinking Roman again! Will wonders never cease?? :lol: :wink: Cool beans!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Too many other things have been keeping me from getting any work-shop time. I have a half done blunderbuss staring at me as well, but honey-do's are not as lenient as one would hope. As well as weird hours.....but alas, I am back, consider yourselves warned!! LOL
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question about pugio scabbard munazio planco 5 1,844 05-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  question about pugio scabbard munazio planco 6 2,228 12-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Last Post: LVCIVS VVLPES
  mainz gladius scabbard in bronze munazio planco 3 2,221 12-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Last Post: tDub248