Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Inventions
Hi everyone, I'm writing a speech for my Public Speaking class on what the Romans invented to give us what we have today. I've actually had a strangely difficult time finding any good, reputable sources. Does anyone know of some sites that give a fairly large list of Roman inventions that are preferably still in use today in some way shape or form?
Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm way behind on this, and not so good at speeches Sad
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
sewerage
watersystems (by aquaducts)
the arch
water-heater (think about bath houses)

Note that the Romans were particulary good at stealing/coppiing the good ideas from allies and enemies, and combining those for the best results.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Note that the Romans were particulary good at stealing/coppiing the good ideas from allies and enemies, and combining those for the best results.
I think that is correct. Like any major civilization, the Romans were open to other ideas. Their most original contribution, however, is really theirs: Roman Law, which has inspired the shape of Medieval and modern law. (Note: the shape, not the contents.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
So...your saying its not legal to put your wife and kids to death for dishonoring you? Confusedhock: :oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:So...your saying its not legal to put your wife and kids to death for dishonoring you? Confusedhock: :oops:

I don't read that in what Jona is saying. But I know their are some Woman rights in the Lex Julii (if I'm right), could also be the Lex Augusti. I also think to remember that a man could say his wife she has to be gone when he got back from bussiness if she was dishonoring him.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Hi everyone, I'm writing a speech for my Public Speaking class on what the Romans invented to give us what we have today. I've actually had a strangely difficult time finding any good, reputable sources. Does anyone know of some sites that give a fairly large list of Roman inventions that are preferably still in use today in some way shape or form?
Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm way behind on this, and not so good at speeches Sad

I can ease your pain. ;-) ) I have two, three excellent articles which are up to date and will really help bail you out. Drop me an email.

Actually, I am making a list of my own for some time, and it is getting longer and longer. Contrary to a widespread belief, the Romans were not only good applicators, but also ingenious inventors.

A couple of notable Roman inventions:
- the book (codex)!
- concrete (only reinvented in the 19th century (Portland cement))
- glass blowing and transparent glass

An immense contribution was the introduction of the arch, vault and dome as construction methods (technically, some forms of arches and vaults were occasionally appplied for much longer in the Orient, but the full potential was only realized by the Romans) churches and mosques.

Also, the exploitation of water power began with the Romans (with a Greek prehistory). This is of utmost importance in ther history of technology, as it constitutes the first use of a power ressource on land other than muscles (the only other being sails on ships).

Rarely known Roman inventions:
- the rotary lock (and also combination lock), that is locks were the keys has to be turned
- arch dams
rudimentary newspaper (acta diurna)
- admiralty type anchors
- apartment block, generally high rising urban houses
- lateen sail
- battens on sails
- autobiography (Augustinus: confessiones)
- segmental arch bridges
- cofferdams
- pivoting bridges (Villa Hadriana)
- amphitheatres
- hippodromes
- boarding bridge
- harpax
- swivel chair
- vallus, a harvesting machine
- coaches
- treadwheel crane
- multi-functional knife
- groin vault
- pendentive dome (Hagia Sophia)
- hot house, small scale
- clock tower (tower of the winds on the Agora of Athens)
- artificial harbour basin (hydraulic concrete)
- stern-mounted rudder (Rhine and Mosel)
- radiant heating = floor and wall hypokaust (later, in Villa Hadriana, even dome heating)
- city map (forma urbis Romae)
- road tunnels
- counterfactual history (Livius on Alexander marching westwards)
- rudimentary Science Fiction ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_History )
- rudimentary ball bearings (Nemi ships)
- tambour
- early shopping mall (Trajan's market, the roofed parts)
- pressure lines (aqueducts)
- screw press
- street lighting (Antiochia, Ephesos main street)

and many others (you get the idea). Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_technology
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:3331459u Wrote:So...your saying its not legal to put your wife and kids to death for dishonoring you? Confusedhock: :oops:

I don't read that in what Jona is saying. But I know their are some Woman rights in the Lex Julii (if I'm right), could also be the Lex Augusti. I also think to remember that a man could say his wife she has to be gone when he got back from bussiness if she was dishonoring him.

That was a joke Jurjenivs...... 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Kinda fringey, but I got it. Be wary, the PC crowd will be on you like brown on rice....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, it was legal back then..... was it not?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
jvrjenivs:346axd79 Wrote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:346axd79 Wrote:So...your saying its not legal to put your wife and kids to death for dishonoring you? Confusedhock: :oops:
That was a joke Jurjenivs...... 8)

Aaah.. I was assuming he referred to that Rome series... 8)

A thread about Romans and inventions
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, in a half as$*ed sort of way..... Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
You forgot fast food Stefan.
Brian Stobbs
They invented fast food huh? Well they had plenty of olive oil to fry everything in I guess. I know the Romans (especially plebs) ate at restaurants most of the time, which were usually placed on the ground floor of appartment buildings, or between two buildings.
I've been findings sites that say Romans did not invent aqueducts or concrete, but just improved on older versions of other cultures. They say Mesopotamians made the first aqueducts, but the Romans made the best, and that other cultures before Rome made concrete with gypsum instead of volcanic ash. I'm pretty sure though that I heard from the History Channel that Romans really did invent concrete. Anyone have more knowlege on this? I also heard a funny thing that Romans invented the popsicle....

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Oh ya, if you guys know the names of the inventions in Latin, that is a great help. When I type in one of Stefan's suggestions for "coaches" even if I include "+roman" all I get is sports stuff. The Latin helps, a search for "Codex" works alot better than "book".

Carpe Dium
Quote:Actually, I am making a list of my own for some time, and it is getting longer and longer. Contrary to a widespread belief, the Romans were not only good applicators, but also ingenious inventors.

Rarely known Roman inventions:....

- vallus, a harvesting machine

Actually, I'd be cautious about attributing the vallus solely to the Romans. It originated in Belgic Gaul particualrly among the Treveri Tribe. Most attribute this to the influence of a "retired" roman soldier manging his newly granted lands in occupied Gaul. That's pure speculation. Pliny the Elder described as a novelty used in that region. There are several suggested reasons why it wasn't developed and never caught on in Rome. Roman fields apparently tended to be smalller, they focused more on other lucrative crops (grapes, olives etc..), and most importanly this was a labor saving device. When you have a cheap and reliable labor source, i.e. slaves, saving labor isn't a major concern. Romans are known for adopting and improving existing ideas. Apparently they didn't value this one enough to give it more than a passing mention.
On the other hand, among the Treveri, many of whom fought against Caesar at Alesia, Vallus is a common name. Why would they name themselves after a Roman invention? I have been discussing this very topic recently with RAT member Treveri Gaul. His real last name?? Vallus! He has sent me some of the information he has compiled for a book on the subject. From what I understand, many of them fled before the occupation and wound up in Hungary and Romania where hand held versions of the reaper were still in use until recently.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"