Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoot!
So, you have your men all lined up nicely, and the barbarians are approaching, at 20 yards or so decide it is time to launch your pila and you yell........................what? Seriously, what is the Latin command to shoot or to fire?

Seems to me this was discussed once, maybe even as long ago as the old RAT. I searched, and got too many hits, reset some of the terms in search and still got far too many hits. Oh well, me and search engines don't get along well.
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
IACITE!
Damn! Just threw my pen across the room!! Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Peroni!.........I knew I'd get a quick answer on here.

Sorry to hear about your pen Gaius. Maybe you need to put a large long iron point on it. Big Grin
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
Naaaa, it stuck in the back of a recalcitrant drillers head just fine as is...! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Damn! Just threw my pen across the room!!
:lol: LOL! :lol:

Good soldiers always follow orders Byron!
Byron,

Good thing it was a pen and not another sharp object or better yet a living one.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Damn! Just threw my pen across the room!! Confusedhock:

Darnit! So did I, but I threw my mouse, bounced off the screen and popped me in the head!!

I hope I don't need to wear my helmet while online at RAT from now on!
Sheeesh!!

:lol:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
If we try to consider just how 80 or 160 men can all thro' their Pilum at the same time for the shock tactic to work, I do not think there would have been any verbal order at all. What we would have had is 80 guys standing each 2 meters apart with the other 80 in staggered rank behind also 2 meters apart, however they would all be looking to the right watching the senior Centurian. He would wait until he could see the white of the enemy eyes then thro' his Pilum, what more practical situation can you have than this where 160 men all thro' at the same time. That is the true shock tactic and why I say 160 men is that the Roman soldiers worked in Maniples, indeed they even lived in Maniples as barrack blocks in Roman forts show us.
Brian Stobbs
In my Cohors we use "Mite!" (I´m not zure of the orktographie, I am a iliterrated late roman recruit :lol: )
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
The right command is, in my opinion,:
"MITTE!"
(the singular is a peculiarity of the Strategikon commands),
better if with a previous "... PARA..." or "... PARATI...."
Valete omnes
Flavius
aka Giuseppe Cascarino
Decima Legio
Roma, Italy
I think we occassionally use Parate too.....IIRC. or something similar.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel