Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Helmets: Prunkstuck zum Altmetall, Christian Miks
[Image: VomPrunkstuckMiks.jpg]

Honestly, if you are interested in Late Romans, buy this. Its the book of the exhibition currently on (but not for long) detailing the reconstruction of Late Roman helmets from a jigsaw of separate bits, plus pictures of the old favorites. Price 18 Euros...with excellent illustrations including some exploded views showing how the pieces of the helmet would fit together in construction.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Isn't this one the same as link from old RAT?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes, this is the book accompanying the exhibition- not really a catalogue though, more of a general exposition on Late Roman helmets and how the ones in the exhibition were pieced together.

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
I odered it last week...
I'm curious about it.
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
I see on the helmet on the cover there is a plate with perforations covering the ear hole. I have always thought that was a sensible idea but this is the first time I have seen a picture of a helmet with this. :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The ear coverings are based on actual findings- convinced me at any rate!

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
I always wondered why it was not used in the corinthian as well, instead of the ear cutouts.

Also the many repros of late Roman helms you see with the circular hole, this is the solution I imagined should have been there.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It may very well have been there, except until now no archaological examples were found. A very sensible thing in my opinion.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
I have been round the site 3 times now & still cant get onto the online shop?????

Can anyone provide a link please?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I ordered mine through www.antikmakler.de
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
You must write an email to the museum, they route it to the publisher: http://www.schnell-und-steiner.de/

Be careful another interesting books awaiting you their!
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
I can indeed recommend this book. It is a hard cover edition containing 58 pages with loads of colour and B&W photos of both the Koblenz finds as other late Roman helmets.

Price: 18 euros through the internet/13,50 euros at the museum shop

Its highlights in a nutshell:

An estimated total of 12 helmets was found which were dated to the second third of the fourth century AD. The helmets (most seemingly of the Deurne/Berkasovo “cavalryâ€
Quote:You must write an email to the museum, they route it to the publisher: http://www.schnell-und-steiner.de/
Actually they did not re-route it but told me to write them myself.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi,
1. Useful link, Sasha. Laudes.
2. I'd like to throw my 10 cent in here for praise and criticism, as i bought the book today.
First, it's as good as any book on that subject can get, especially considering available space (58 pages) and price (13,50€ -- bound !). For other goods you could easily consider this being "exceptional value for the money".
It is a very good introduction to the subject and holds a lot of new informations for the advanced reader, too.
It contains worthwile and well-written "excursions" (4 !) on the relations between Rome and the Sassanid Emoire in the 3rd cent A.D., on restoration techniques, the Magnentius ursurpation and its results and last but not least about late roman helmets with "crest-badge" (? dunno whether i translated "hohe Kammscheibe" correctly here?) .
All in all a brief "look-about" towards the topics indirectly related to the exhibition.
Second, as there "always is falling a little rain into each's life" there are some points open to criticism, however.
The tables could have been larger and the colours used could have been a bit more suitable for older people in terms of size of the fonts used and related things like e.g. the colouring could have been better suited for older people and people with "red-green viewing problems.
It is not as bad though as in the catalogue of "Von Augustus bis Attila- Leben am ungarischen Donaulimes"(From Augustus to Attila- Life on the hungarian part of the Danube Limes) where you needed a good magnifying glass because a lesser one wouldn't do.
They do have a problem with misprints here, especially some in correct dates (numbers !) explain their lapses on the dating of the helmets that they first published on their website.
(Weeelllll, if you do calculate with Roman Numbers all day, you seem to get into trouble using Arabic Numbers, don't you ?! :wink: )
And they could have published a more COMPLETE list of the helmets with photographs and drawings the same way they exhit it at the Museum.
As I understand there will be a more concise and complete publication to come. (?!)
All in All: Only minor criticism though, I think.
So: Heartily recommended, not only if you speak german: go out and buy it !
And---- get yo a**** up and into to the RGZM, Mainz. :wink:
If small is beautiful, folks-- this exhibition sure is !
(Or in other words: a reenactor's (wet ?) dream come true !)
---------And it's FREEEE !!

Greez

Simplex

Ah well, one piece of the exhibition certainly is to end all discussions on that topic:
The shield is convex and oval. No need for discussion there anymore ! :wink:
Oh yes .... I forgot that they mentioned "our" A. Iriarte here on page 57 :
"Abb./Pic. 18 [Berkassove-Reconstruction]: V. Iserhardt(RGZM) after copy in RGZM; A. Iriarte: Reconstructing the iron core from the Deurne helmet, Journal of Roman Military Equipmen Studies 7, 1996, Abb. 2
Required reading !
OT-Remark: Helmets: Twelve, Ships: Nill -- in case you need otherwise go to the Museum für Antike Schiffahrt -- also in Mainz !
Siggi K.
I received my copy yesterday. A very good book and an absolute must-have for any self-respecting Late Roman re-eanctor or group.
The only negative about it is that hideous purple color in the background of most images. That seriously hinders the study of the fragments - since all are cutout images, the background should have been white. Bummer. Cry

Quote:- The silver sheets that covered the helmets weren’t gilded by fire; instead very thin leaves of gold were used.
Not only that, the silver was gilded on both sides, which makes it possible (likely, even) that this was a mterial used for other purposes and not specifically fabricated for this purpose.[/quote]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  C Miks new book: Late Empire Helm Fans Gunthamund Hasding 12 3,477 03-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Last Post: tiberius aemilius naso
  Christian Miks Papers on Academia.edu jho 2 1,770 01-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Longovicium