Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Istanbul\'s history to be rewritten ??
........ thumbing through "archaeonews" and not being able to find it mentioned on this here website while performing "Search", I think this could be of interest to you:
[url:2konpgjh]http://www.thenational.ae/article/20081106/FRONTIERS/190583377/1036/NEWS[/url]
Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Quote:........ thumbing through "archaeonews" and not being able to find it mentioned on this here website while performing "Search", I think this could be of interest to you:
[url:196w2u4v]http://www.thenational.ae/article/20081106/FRONTIERS/190583377/1036/NEWS[/url]
Greez

Simplex

I don't understand the claim that 'the Romans founded Constantinople'. Anybody with any interest knows that Constantine 'founded' his new city at Byzantion (spelt correctly?), a Greek site. As such, the original city was much older than the Romans and the idea that nothing happened even before the Greeks is ridiculous.

All I can think is that the claim is there in an attempt to raise the profile of the dig and so get extra money. Otherwise, only an extremely incompetent archaeologist waould make such a claim.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Dear Siggi,

Just "google" the words "Byzas", "Megara", "Byzantium" and you will find info and images about your querry.

As for the rest I agree with sonic.

Kind regards
Hi Sonic,
.....maybe I didn't make it clear enough that I do not necessarily subscibe to the point of views offered in articles "up and doen the internet" that I do mention as "interesting. (English still IS a foreign laguage to me, --- as is "High-German", of course :oops: ) If so, I apologize/emphasize that I do not intend to do so.
Well, but aren't scientific discussion thrilling ? :wink:
As to the article, the most interesting feat, however, is that the "diggers/scientists/whoever" are attributing their earliest findings to the "Catal Höyük-horizon". Aside from finding (more than ?) 32 ships from antiquity this seems the most interesting feat to me.
(Work for the Mainz "Museum für Antike Schiffahrt" "ad infinitum" ?? :wink: )

Greez

Siimplex
Siggi K.
Quote:Hi Sonic,
.....maybe I didn't make it clear enough that I do not necessarily subscibe to the point of views offered in articles "up and doen the internet" that I do mention as "interesting. (English still IS a foreign laguage to me, --- as is "High-German", of course :oops: ) If so, I apologize/emphasize that I do not intend to do so. Simplex

I honestly never thought you did! If I gave that impression, I apologise. :oops: Sad I was actually drawing attention to the fact that sometimes archaeologists can make really dramatic claims in an attempt to boost their reputations, or, far more likely, try to retain/improve funding for digs, so the claim shouldn't necessarily be taken at face value.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
..pas de problem (.....or so ...), sonic .....
...'t was more of a general statement. :wink:
(The statement to end all statements ?! :roll: )
And now for the main topic: ..........some call it P.R. --- ..... some call it propaganda.
(What?! Confusedhock: ........ somebody said Kalkriese ?! No !? ..... O.K. , ----I must be hallucinating :wink: ......)

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.