Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another new Graham Sumner book?
Hello T.J.

Quote:you illustrated the first book, but authored the second?

That is correct. I also illustrated the second as well.

Quote:the first book deals in STRICTLY the armor and weapons while the other deals in clothing and such?

The first book also includes reference to clothing. The sections on armour in particular will cause a lot of debate here on RAT. It includes a vast number of photographs of pieces of equipment and finds that even I myself had never seen before.

The second book deals strictly with clothing, measurements and diagrams of individual finds, plus information on the supply and manufacture of clothing. It has more information on the available evidence for clothing colour. It is the result of six years of continual research into this subject.

Quote:How much of the information included is still accurate to today? Nothing changed since it was published?

It might be worthwhile getting a copy for the illustrations and photographs but my information on clothing in particular has certainly come a long way since then. Hence all the other books.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I ordered a new copy of Roman Military Dress from an UK Amazon seller for about 10 euros. It's around 14 euros total for International shipping. I'm not sure if this is an advance copy or not but it seems the seller has more in stock (new) and they were not advertising a few days ago, so this may very well be the final copies since Graham said that the publisher is already sending out final copies to sellers. Since it was so cheap I went ahead and ordered it.

I'll let you guys/gals know what pops up at my doorstep next week or so.

EDIT: It's not available anymore at the seller. May very well be an advance copy. I'll let you guys know anyway if you're interested.
Pedro Pereira
Guys,

I picked up a copy of "Roman Military Dress" in Waterstone's, Eastbourne, on Saturday ... and very good it is, too! I think the forthcoming tomes on armour and equipment are going to generate lots of discussion here and amongst lots of wargamers and collectors and re-enactors! Cheers, Graham! I really like the ways in which you depict cloth and the sheen on metal surfaces.

Theo
I had the opportunity to look into it on Saturday and had a talk with Graham. It certainly is worth the money and a must have for every reenactor. Can't wait till I receive my own copy and can starting reading/studding the content.
ALA I BATAVORUM
As promised, 4th century soldiers enforcing a price edict on the author.

[attachment=0:30ogzhby]<!-- ia0 Graham.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:30ogzhby]
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Just got my copy of "Roman Military Dress" by Graham Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Just got my copy of "Roman Military Dress" by Graham Big Grin !

Boo!!! Come on Amazon! Ship to the U.S. already!
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)
Quote:Hello T.J.

Quote:you illustrated the first book, but authored the second?

That is correct. I also illustrated the second as well.

Quote:the first book deals in STRICTLY the armor and weapons while the other deals in clothing and such?

The first book also includes reference to clothing. The sections on armour in particular will cause a lot of debate here on RAT. It includes a vast number of photographs of pieces of equipment and finds that even I myself had never seen before.

The second book deals strictly with clothing, measurements and diagrams of individual finds, plus information on the supply and manufacture of clothing. It has more information on the available evidence for clothing colour. It is the result of six years of continual research into this subject.

Quote:How much of the information included is still accurate to today? Nothing changed since it was published?

It might be worthwhile getting a copy for the illustrations and photographs but my information on clothing in particular has certainly come a long way since then. Hence all the other books.

Graham.
salve
I just purchased a copy of Roman Military Dress and it is in the mail (Amazon.com affiliated seller - 25 dollars with shipping included) - and hope to purchase the forthcoming Arms and Armour of the Roman Soldier.
But I have a question (actually many questions) about your art - would it be possible if you could discuss your techniques as per drawing and painting ?- I am currently learning how to draw and paint on computer with tablet, Photoshop, GIMP etc, and I am currious about your approach to creating these spledind reconstructions of the Roman military.
I mean your approach to sources, to actual drawing out the images and painting - I find your artwork unique in a sense of creasting realistic (and especially historic) reconstructions of ancient soldiers and their equipment. For example I like your nonheroic figure proportions in your reconstructions - wouldn't mind to learn about your creative process etc.
thanks
bachmat66 (Dariusz T. Wielec)
<a class="postlink" href="http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/">http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/
Quote:I have a question (actually many questions) about your art - would it be possible if you could discuss your techniques as per drawing and painting ?- I am currently learning how to draw and paint on computer with tablet, Photoshop, GIMP etc, and I am currious about your approach to creating these spledind reconstructions of the Roman military.
I mean your approach to sources, to actual drawing out the images and painting - I find your artwork unique in a sense of creasting realistic (and especially historic) reconstructions of ancient soldiers and their equipment. For example I like your nonheroic figure proportions in your reconstructions - wouldn't mind to learn about your creative process etc.
thanks

Hello Dariusz
Thanks for the comments. There is nothing special about my technique, it just basically involeves collecting as much information as posible before any work commences. This includes finding as much archaeological data that can be found, photographs of models - both human and miniatures ( I have even used Action Man (or GI Joe if you pefer) figures in scale models of buildings or backgrounds), any reconstructed kit and weaponry that might help for lighting and shadow effects etc, etc....

The paintings themselves are drawn out in pencil on board first usually at A3 size, then painted in gouache, a medium which can be painted over to an extent if anything needs changing, although painting white over red takes some doing.

One interesting aspect of having my original paintings on display is that people seem to like seeing all the parts that have been repainted or painted out and the corrections, all of which are lost in the printing process. The detail also comes across better in the originals.

Inspiration for poses often comes from other artists who worked in the past. Particular favourites of mine are Matania, Gerome, Detaille and Du Nueville.

Hope this helps.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Salve Panie Graham Smile
thank you very much - much appreciated
miniatures (including GI Joe ) - I should say that I turned to sculpting miniatures a while back in order to have my own models to draw from and then I found out how little I had known anatomy - in spite of many figure drawing classes - nota bene when comes to Roman Army I also turn to dr Mike (of AWmag and MedRom forum) for guidance and advice, and he is a miniaturist par excellence.
Printing can be problematic - even today with this seemingly better technology. Perhaps one day I will be able to see your work in the original, although UK is not my usual place to visit when on vacation Smile
I am looking forward to see your Roman soldiers artwork in the book I ordered.
bachmat66 (Dariusz T. Wielec)
<a class="postlink" href="http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/">http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/
As one of those pesky Late Romans who fanboyed the author at Vindolanda, I have read my copy avidly ever since. Big Grin

I think it is excellent: great new info, lots of new pics and a sense that finally Graham's expertise has room to shine. I have posted my full review in a new thread so as to avoid losing it in this discussion thread - I hope that is convenient. Big Grin

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26673">viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26673<!-- l

cheers

Ste
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Just received my copy today. Doesn't seem to be a review copy as I feared from the cheap price. Don't have time to read it right now, just skimed through it. Very compact letter font, tons of info. Only complaint is that those wonderfull color illustrations weren't given the full page treatment! :wink:

Great book. If someone is on the fence, do yourself a favor and order this NOW!

Congrats for such a wonderfull book, Graham! Now the waiting game for Arms and Armor beguins...
Pedro Pereira
Did anyone notice Titus Pullo in color plate nr. 11? Looks like he's a centurion now. :lol:
Pedro Pereira
According to De Bello Gallico, Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus were both centurions, serving with Julius Caesar during that campaign.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I know, but THIS Pullo wasn't, if you catch my drift. Vorenus seems to be there too next to him :wink:
Pedro Pereira

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Graham Sumner and me richsc 3 1,417 01-31-2015, 12:53 PM
Last Post: M. Val. Naso
  Next Sumner and d\'Amato book Theo 20 5,656 10-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Conal
  Review: Roman Military Dress by Graham Sumner Salvianus 7 5,052 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar