Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roma, roma, roma!?
A thought has accured to me. At all of the roman reenacting events that I've been to, when we form up into a charge, we invariably chant, "Roma, roma, roma!". Is there any evidence to back this up as what the roman legions actually did, or is this another case of reenactors making things up and going along with what everyone else is doing? <p></p><i></i>
Thats a new one on me . Never heard that used in the UK.<br>
I have never heard of a specific battlecry. If there was too much noise there would be a danger of the Cornu not being heard. The general opinion seems to be that the approach would be silent. The Guard beats on the shield rhythmically. As for the charge my preference is "Occide" Kill but it does not take a great deal of imagination to suggest that names of Emperors Legates or legions could be used. In the case of the XXth in our period the shout "Viginti" "Valeria" "Victrix" has a certain redolance. Indeed a lot of the Legionary titles would have a certain ring to them . Not all though. Try Deiotariana!! <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
The cry 'nobiscum' (i.e. 'With us', purportedly, god) is recorded at Strategikon for the late period.<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Didn't Caesar order his troops to use "Venus Victrix" as their battlecry at Pharsalus, if I remember correctly? <p></p><i></i>
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Another battle cry from the 6th-c. Strategikon (XII.b.16) was the command 'Parati' (ready) after the ranks were closed, immediately followed by a single cry of 'Adiuta..' (Help us), followed by the army answering '..Deus' (O Lord).<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Birthday, Roma! Matthew Amt 13 2,300 04-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Last Post: szaboa_22