Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Roman army use sandbags?
Hello,

do we have evidence of ancient armies using sandbags for fortifications, circumvallation or, generally, engineering works? If so, what was the material of the sandbags?

The only mentioning of sandbags I found is in the construction of the Artemis temple in Ephesos by a Greek architect.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
I've never heard of such things, I get the impression that turves were the Roman equivalent. Use a Roman dolabra or 'turf-cutter' and build your own wall or fortification in a few hours.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:do we have evidence of ancient armies using sandbags for fortifications, circumvallation or, generally, engineering works? If so, what was the material of the sandbags?

The only mentioning of sandbags I found is in the construction of the Artemis temple in Ephesos by a Greek architect.

Vegetius says (III,10) that the Persians did in imitation of Roman camp building... which may (or may not) be taken to indicate that the Romans used sandbags when in the desert.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Wow, that is pretty long winded.....no wonder it is a dead language....
ducks and runs...... Tongue
It would make sense though....sand ditches fill them selves quite rapidly
and a berm requires reinforcement of some type...not much timber in the deserts....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Wow, that is pretty long winded.....no wonder it is a dead language....
ducks and runs...... Tongue
It would make sense though....sand ditches fill them selves quite rapidly
and a berm requires reinforcement of some type...not much timber in the deserts....

That is why Caesar "imported" his timber in his campaigns in North Africa.

Sand bags? I have never read of them being used in antiquity, but that does not mean that they were not used. Who knows?
Gregory

I love the name of honor, more than I fear death.
The only evidence of sandbags I have found so far (6th century BC): Landels: Engineering in the Ancient World
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)