Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manica Reconstruction by Matt Lukes
In the links below, you can see the excellent manica reconstruction by Matt Lukes using C230 "Red Brass".

The manica has a linen liner with a dyed leather edge and dyed leather lace of lighter color for contrast.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... G_0453.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... G_0446.jpg
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
That's fantastic Doc. Another amazing example of Matt's handiwork. Do you think the brass will be tough to clean? I suppose no more than steel...

Oh, and your bottom link wasn't working, so I fixed it.

Congrats on a fantastic piece!

Legion: TBD
Matt,

Thanks for fixing the link. I forgot to check and see if they worked.

Yes, I agree, another great job by Matt Lukes. Even in a simple piece like a manica one can see the skills and mastery of a person.

The brass believe it or not after being handled several times began to turn a brownish color. So all I did was take some steel wool and gently rub off the tarnishing (probably caused by all the touching).

I also do not like for my armor to look like Christmas tinsel so I clean it enough to look clean, not shiny since I doubt the originals would have been.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Wasn't the Matt Lukes manica, which indeed is a very nice piece of craftmanship, already discussed here?
link from old RAT
ALA I BATAVORUM
jvrjenivs,

So what if it was. The major issue for this manica was the linen padding. Most people use thin leather. I thought that showing a departure from the usual would be ok.

Paolo
Looks very good. So leather edging was sewn onto the linen? And then this leather edged linen was laced onto the manica?

And another question: how thick is the linen?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jeff,

The leather edge is sewn unto the linen. Then holes were made in the middle of the leather edge which was laced to the manica.

The thickness depends on what is comfortable for you and makes the manica fit well.

Paolo
Nice work!

How do you find having only one strap works in practise- ie keeping it up on the arm and not rotating around the arm when in action?

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Caballo,

I have a buckle at the bottom that secures the manica at the writst. It is also tied off with a leather strap around the tricept. It works rather well.

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MANICA Reconstruction Matt Lukes 51 24,693 01-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Matt Lukes(?) Mark Headlee 9 3,044 10-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus
  Matt Lukes Doc 7 2,627 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius