Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD.
Brian, the ones in Rados pics are from Herculaneum. There is a second set from Pompeii, which is better preserved, and posted by Marcellus. The Pompeii ones are not necessarily from a single belt, we don´t know.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
These photos were published in FB from my German friend Cohors Praetoria, without comment unfortunately.. just write Herculaneum.
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Christian.

Thank you for the responce however if we examine Rado's belt pictures there are two belts showing which becomes very clear from the buckles.
I was of course thinking of our body on the beach at Herculanium but then with that we do only see one belt of that style.
Brian Stobbs
Rado.

Where you say that these pictures are published in FB just what is FB and can one get a copy of this.
Brian Stobbs
Brian, those belts in the pics from Rado are the two belts from the Herculaneum soldier, his dagger belt and his sword belt.

FB means facebook.

Best! C.
Christian K.

Christian.

Thank you for I was not aware that the Herculanium man was wearing two belts for I could only see the one when looking at the picture of him.
Brian Stobbs
Graham made a really nice pic a while ago. You could ask him to send it to you, maybe he wants to post it here, or you could buy the Ancient Warfare issue, here link to Graham´s site:

http://gsillustrator.co.uk/view.php?id=22&type=digital

Relevant literature:

R. D´Amato, G Sumner, From Herculaneum´s Ashes. A faber navalis of 79 AD, in: Ancient Warfare Magazine, III/2, Nijmegen 2009, p. 42-47.
S. Ortisi, Roman Military in the Vesuvius Area, in: L. De Blois, E. Lo Cascio (Eds.), The Impact of the Roman Army, Leiden 2007, p. 347- 353
E. Künzl, Cingula di Ercolano e Pompei, in: Cronache Pompeiane 3, 1977, p. 177 -197.
D. Mano Zisi, Nalaz iz Tekije - Les Trouvailles de Tekija, Belgrad 1957, #18 ff.
T. Cvjetićanin et al. (Eds.), Balkani, Milano 2007, p. 218-220, # 184-188.
Christian K.

Quote:Rado.

Where you say that these pictures are published in FB just what is FB and can one get a copy of this.
Brian that is the album in FB
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...196&type=3
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Great photos but I long for closeups or drawings of the representations on the belt plates.
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Joe.
If you right click on any photo in both of those two posts then right click copy, take to a folder of your own and right click then paste.
This way you will have the pictures and you can blow them up to the size you want, in fact in the last pic' the far left plate has a horse on it.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks, Brian.

I went to the facebook links and downloaded the original sized photos. The oblique angle, I believe, hides a lot of details Sad
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
The sad thing about this gear is have they been given to conservators yet for it would indeed be great if we could have better detail.
Brian Stobbs
Christian, do you know if these plates from Herculaneum have ever been restored further than what we see in the pics posted by Rado? Also, in what Museum are they in?

Thanks.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Phil, I don´t think that they were properly restored by the looks of them, but I don´t know. The state they are in may be due to the immense heat from the pyroclastic flow that hit herculaneum. I don´t think they are on display in Naples (if that´s where they are) but rather in the magazines.
Christian K.

Thanks Christian.....I appreciate it.
There just seems to be a mystery of the whereabouts of all of these belt plates.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,126 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recent Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I made Pointer 15 2,869 08-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Herculaneum soldier\'s belt munazio planco 20 5,523 03-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs