Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD.
http://www.replik-online.de/en/index.html

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: 8)

This is an awesome belt!!!

I soooooo want it!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I wonder why he calls it an officer's belt?

It's very beautiful, but way over my budget.
I have to also ask just how does he consider it to be an officers belt.
Brian Stobbs
Who else could afford it?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Indeed, this Belt has been found on a miles, who have also a bag with some tools of carpenter... Not an officer :wink:
Titus Flavius Pupinius Rufus
Praefectus Fabrum LEG VIII AUGUSTA
Emmanuel Fourré
Was the original belt made of solid silver, silvered cupric alloy or thin silver sheet embossed with the figures and wrapped around a brass plate in the same fashion the Velsen belt was
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
This belt is indeed really beautiful. But the price... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I can't pay this kind of money for a belt.

Such stuff is only for truly rich officers Smile P 8)

I too would like to know whether the original belt was made from pure silver.
Radka Hlavacova A.K.A Titvs Iventivs Martivs
Tesserarivs Legio IIII FF
Castra Romana, Czech republic
"Concordia militvm"
Well, with just a little more pillaging, maybe one of us could buy one, then others of us could copy it.

PILLAGING PARTY! FORM UP ON THE LINE! WE LEAVE AT DAWN!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Perhaps that is how it came into the miles possession in the first place?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'd think if the original was silver, and given the level of intricacy on the belt, I somehow doubt it was a regular rank and file soldier wearing it. Maybe a pay and a halfer or double pay?

Legion: TBD
why do we all think that it couldn't belong to a normal soldier. Plates like this are a nice way to invest your money, always have your investment with you instead of having it on Wall street, in a secure (and easy) way.

If you look to the amount of highly ornate stuff found on auxilia fortresses, this doesn't seem to be any problem.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I have made this belt a couple of times, the plates of the original would have been bronze and covered in thin silver sheet. There is evidence for this as some of the pictures on the silver pieces show the pictures were stamped out.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Plates like this are a nice way to invest your money, always have your investment with you instead of having it on Wall street, in a secure (and easy) way.

I agree. We also have an account of soldiers donating their military belts to help fund a campaign, (IIRC in 69AD) so they must have been reasonably rich metals. The Kalkriese fittings were covered in silver foil, as were the Velsen belt plates.

Also, take into consideration all the Type B pugiones which all had very intricate silver inlays not only on the sheath plates but on the grip plates as well. These were standard issue it would seem. Also look at the number of cavalry helmets that were sheathed in silver. they cannot all have been officer's equipment.
In all fairness to Konig I think that the price reflects the cost of Silver, for as far as I can make out he has cast these belt pieces. Which is not how the original was made as I have pointed out, there are three different pictures on these plates that are in circular panels boardered by other decoration around the edge of the beltplates. The outer boarder of the plates is the common feature of them all, then the centre picture panels were punched in later. The evidence for this is that some of the centre picture panels are not straight ie some are at 11.0clock where others are at 12.0clock and even others at 1.0clock. This indicates that the people who made them were a bit careless with their punching, (notice I do not say the craftsman who made them). For indeed it was ordinary people who made them, however it took a craftsman to design and create the decorative punches for them. As indeed I have done them in the past however I did not punch them, I made each plate by hand worked Reppouse' on silver sheet then wrapped them onto brass plates
Brian Stobbs
That is very true Adrian for the more steady type of soldier who did not gamble or booze all his pay must have invested it into his kit, and this way no one would steal his wealth. Infact when we look at the Velsen dagger and belt we even find that the guys who buried the guy in the well did not plunder his dagger, the reason being it would have stood out like a sore thumb and anyone would know you had stolen it from their dead friend.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,126 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recent Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I made Pointer 15 2,869 08-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Herculaneum soldier\'s belt munazio planco 20 5,523 03-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs