Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD.
I do not object to any thread to talk about what is or might be considered as the better type of equipment for re-enactors, for indeed I have spent over 30 years making such equipment and I might even want to take part in such a topic.
Then as you point out Robert it can cause an awful lot of time and upset, but then did no one who was very aware indeed they were off topic take the time to stop to make any apology for having done so in a subject that was already six pages in length.

I must say again let any of those who caused this upset to come about to have the manners to give an apology for such and start another topic on authenticiy of Roman armour in the re-enactment role.
Brian Stobbs
Brian,
Hey cool are we gonna have duels too? Can I pick my weapon? It's an online forum. Things evolve. I assume you are irritated because I think "pretty, perfect things" are wrong? Pretty perfect belts are probably wrong too.

Hobbies are the worst, prob even worse than online politics.
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Marsh.

I think we should just use common sense here and leave it to the Mods and I am not irritated at all, if all the off topic started by Paul Elliott is wiped clear I would also not be upset I think you might be though.
Brian Stobbs
Hear hear Brian,
Marsh, I think it is about time you started another topic (constructively this time) in regards to your rants about authentic armour been "too pretty"...your words not mine.
When I look at the thread, it is titled 'Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD'....NOT bagging out craftsman who have the learned skill of making authentic pieces. I for one, as I am sure most of the forum members have an immense respect for all of these artisans, including the Deepeeka craftsman.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Everybody needs to take a breath here, and make a new thread if there's a new conversation. Nothing impossible about making a new thread and cutting pasting parts of this thread into another, but it takes a lot more time to do that than to stay on topic. Like everybody else, mods have lives outside of RAT, and plenty of things to take up time.

If moderators are forced to take action, we will, but we'd rather not be heavy-handed. Those who keep the rules have no need of law enforcement.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
David, delete the whole thread. I can repost stuff. This has gotten ridiculous!
~Marsh
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
The thread just needs to come back on topic, which started out well. Just reminding that it's ok to disagree with anyone, for whatever reason, but it's not ok to attack anyone's ideas or personal view. Disagreement does not have to be disagreeable, and never has to be ad hominem.

I doubt it will be deleted. And while there may be some discussion going on by staff, the chances of splitting, selectively deleting or otherwise editing are not really all that good. Everyone needs to edit themselves. Everyone needs to breathe once, read twice, then hit "Submit". It's not that hard.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Right folks, since I started this thread some time back, may I suggest that
the mods move the conversation theme starting with Mithras' comment about the cost of Eriks helmets, and the replies to it....
I would not appreciate this thread being deleted...so if you would like to start a new thread
Marsh feel free, but don't suggest this thread should be deleted , ok! Wink

Mods, is that possible?

BTW marsh, Brian never suggested deleting the posts from what I can see, just moving them, as I have just done. Confusedmile:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Back onto the topic....I am interested as is Brian, if anyone has better (preferably high res) photos of these belt plates please?

[attachment=4236]img060.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4237]img061.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4238]img062.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Back onto the topic....I am interested as is Brian, if anyone has better (preferably high res) photos of these belt plates please?

[attachment=4239]img060_2012-06-09.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4240]img061_2012-06-09.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4241]img062_2012-06-09.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Quote:Right folks, since I started this thread some time back, may I suggest that
the mods move the conversation theme starting with Mithras' comment about the cost of Eriks helmets, and the replies to it....
I would not appreciate this thread being deleted...so if you would like to start a new thread
Marsh feel free, but don't suggest this thread should be deleted , ok! Wink

Mods, is that possible?
Possible yes, but I'll have to free some time to do it. It means making a new thread (or more) and removing every single post from this thread to the new one, one at a time, each time returning to the original thread.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ach...just leave it then!
lets try and stick a little closely to the topic folks!
A little digression is good, but, if you have a brainstorm, go and create a new thread for it! (as many have politely requested me to do when I blunder off at a tangent to the topic!) :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Several new pictures from Herculaneum and Pompeii Belt.
[Image: 852a0e69aaf5.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
[Image: 8fe2b98ada82.jpg]
On one of the college can be seen well the model of pendants.
[Image: 61f02574a621.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Rado.

Where did these pictures of the belt plates come from and is there any information to indicate if they came from Pompeii or indeed if they came from Herculanium, for we keep hearing the two places linked together so were they from one or the other place.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,170 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recent Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I made Pointer 15 2,897 08-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Herculaneum soldier\'s belt munazio planco 20 5,588 03-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs