Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the leather muscled curiass of the later times sexier?
Quote:Every painted or mosaical representation of musculata I've ever seen is either steel or brass coloured and shaded (possibly silver or gold); No brown ones.

All pteryges I've ever seen are white or a primary colour; No brown ones.

Show me brown or even beige musculata or pteryges in frescoes or mosaics and I might be more open to the possibility of Ren Fairre tat in the 1st-C AD.

If body armour was leather, why not helmets? Please, please, please, post any coloured representation of an ancient Roman soldier wearing leather musculata.

Well that could be case. I guess Hollywood liked doing pteryges in leather. It may be the case they were linen or some other textile. Leather only has advantage of absorbing wear and usually lasting a lot longer.

I'm only proposing a model view. I don't claim to have the prior rights to what the truth is. It is a proposition. Is it possible? I would say yes. I would like somebody to prove that it is impossible. What are the probabilities in another question?

The moderator has indicated to me that I should research the backlog of threads on the subject. Might take same time to find them all and review them.

As to why not helmets? That answer is simple. Because the skull itself is relatively rigid. The head is not the best absorber of concussion on our body. Perhaps the same reason the motorcyclist wears a helmet with a hard shell.
Steven.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Was the leather muscled curiass of the later times sexier? - by wulfgar60 - 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muscled Cuirasses of Boiled Leather? Lindsay_Powell 16 4,760 07-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS