Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the leather muscled curiass of the later times sexier?
Quote: Helloooo! Did you not read my post?? We KNOW all that! I have to ask, are you or Wulfgar the same as this guy?:

No, I only go under the name of Wulfgar!

Quote:HE ARTIST CARVED IT THAT WAY. It was the STYLE of the time. Now, in reality, if you wear a nice and fine shirt of mail or scales--or the combination we like to call plumata--over a nice set of chest muscles, with no padding at all, you can indeed see some of the body shape under the armor. Mail is especially good at forming to the body. (Put a mailshirt on your girlfriend sometime--well, I'll let that drop!) So maybe all the artist had to do was emphasize that effect. But that would mean NO padding under the armor at all.

Now you're speculating aren't you?

Quote: If you feel like you're getting some hostile reactions, it's because we've all been over this a dozen times, and it gets tiring when someone who is just CONVINCED he's right simply blows through everything we have tried to teach. If you're hear to learn from the huge mass of knowledge on this board, then learn, and we will be happy to share. If you're just going to tell us how stiff-necked we are for not bowing to your perfectly logical and commonsense preconceptions, maybe some other discussion board will seem like a friendlier place.

I'm not convinced that much about anything. Even less about your preconceptions.

As I said I'm placing a bid. You guys seem to regard your set of convictions as the last word on truth. Personally I don't know? I could merely speculate on a number of models.

Put it this way. If I'm to say that a muscled leather cuirass formed the undergarment of mail that was thrown over on top. I don't have to prove it. It is simply an opinion! An idea!

Remember the 3 P's of scientific opinion. Proposition, and that's what I've made. A proposal! One can make just about any kind proposal!

The next test is whether it violates the laws of logic. The question being here is, "is it possible"?

Now please tell me Matthew, that my proposal is impossible?

I believe it is possible. That doesn't establish it as a fact. Merely that it is not impossible!

The 3rd point is how probable the argument is?

Well, we could argue to the cows come home on that. A lot of what is excepted as fact in history, is simply something that is regarded as highly probable. In science only mathematics is regarded as a intuitive fact.

We can't be absolutely sure Julius Caesar in fact existed. The annuals recording him, may have been pure invention. However we conclude it is most probable he existed.

For example modern historians now regard the biblical empire of David and Solomon. As being something of a myth!

I'll enjoy my opinion! I'm imagining regiments of later legionaries on parade, minus the chain mail. In very fashionable leather muscled cuirasses. I like my Romans to dress to dress well!
:roll:

However thanks Matthew. You pointed something very relevant on the bronze shield bit.

However remember Kant. How perceptions are not the object!
Steven.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Was the leather muscled curiass of the later times sexier? - by wulfgar60 - 11-04-2008, 06:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muscled Cuirasses of Boiled Leather? Lindsay_Powell 16 4,760 07-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS