Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the leather muscled curiass of the later times sexier?
Now during the Carolingian period and later there is definately written and other evidence showing usage of hardened reinforcements under flexible armour, so it cannot be that nonfunctional. However, one must be very careful with using later periods and other cultures to justify ones viewpoint. Anything is POSSIBLE with history, we are talking about very intelligent people and resourceful cultures, but we have to approach such subjects with caution and a clear head. Not only do we have to address the historic evidence, but we also have to address our own reasons for bringing up the issue. As reenactors and hopefully amateur (some not so amateur) historians we should make an effort not to bring our own baggage and overlay our own prejudices and stereotypes more than necessary and not at all if it can be helped. The leather mystique is largely a fascination with ren faires and Hollywood and yes it can be very pretty and play a part in the development of our view of what Romans, etc. looked like when lacking more advanced knowledge. As a beginner it was something I had to get over. Now Gladiator looks rather silly and I'd much rather lose some of my enjoyment for movies than bring a false view to the unknowing public. Definately make sure your motives are not selfish or deluded.
Derek D. Estabrook

Messages In This Thread
Re: Was the leather muscled curiass of the later times sexier? - by Ironhand - 11-04-2008, 03:45 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muscled Cuirasses of Boiled Leather? Lindsay_Powell 16 4,760 07-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS