Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the leather muscled curiass of the later times sexier?
Quote:Just because the Romans may or may not have had knowledge of something doesn't mean it was pratical for them to have used it. If they did, there'd be evidence of it. Frescoes depicting armour would be painted brown, etc. This isn't the case.

The question is, can you modify your way of thinking to accept that there is no evidence in any way shape or form for leather armour in the non-lamellar sense?

Most Roman depictions extant have no colour remaining, and leather can be dyed a vast range of colours anyway.

I'm not arguing that the Romans used leather armour cuirasses, merely that they may have. I don't have any problem with the lack of direct evidence in favour of the hypothesis, I'm just rather surprised at the nature of the reaction that has been shown against the mere suggestion that such armour could have existed.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Was the leather muscled curiass of the later times sexier? - by Urselius - 11-03-2008, 10:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muscled Cuirasses of Boiled Leather? Lindsay_Powell 16 4,760 07-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS