Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive tower, Augusta (Aosta) Cisalpine Gaul
Here is a reconstruction of a defensive tower from the walls of Aosta, Northern Italy. The reconstruction was fairly easy, because the towers are largely intact! Construction is of stone with brick archivolts, and the builders were even considerate enough to place a parapet to the rear of the rampart, to prevent defenders from falling off. The walls appear to have had two building phases, the most recent, with merlons and upper floors to the towers, dating from about AD 50. Materials are foamboard, picture framing card and plasticine. Scale is 15mm.

[Image: 3142pu0.jpg]
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Awesome job, mate!
Looks phantastic.

Cheers

S.P.
Andreas ( <-- Greek name!)

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM[/b]
Wow! Very decent job!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well done, Neil. Maybe you could also make a 3d-reconstruction of the "Porta Nigra" in Trier (Augusta Treverorum)?

[Image: trier_porta_nigra_01.JPG]
--- Marcus F. ---
Tremendous job. Any evidence of shutters on the windows? The Hellenistic period towers in the Greek world have external shutters.

btw Love the avatar. One of my favourite books from childhood -- and I'd gladly read it again, if my copy hadn't fallen apart long ago! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hadrian: It would indeed be an interesting project. I believe the right hand side gate tower was reduced in height to build the attached church? It would be interesting to build it in a complete form, as I have read somewhere that it was unfinished.

Mr. Campbell: I usually put shutters on my hadrian's Wall reconstructions; I cant think why I omitted them on this occasion! Yes, the Asterix books are great. Given my model making hobby, I considered having the name 'Squareonthehypotenus' (Mansions of the Gods) as my name and avatar - but Gluteus Maximus is funnier.
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison