Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question
For some time I have been scratcbuilding various Roman buildings in 15mm scale. Whilst they are of course suitable for wargaming, I like to think of them as bona fide archeological reconstructions given that I use original plans and up to date research. The question is, if I display these models on this site (great site, btw - only just discovered it!) do they go in this section, or the section on reconstructions? Here is an example of my work - a model of Milecastle No.9 (Chapelhouse) Hadrian's Wall, just after its Severan period rebuilding:
[Image: 2mg2zh4.jpg]
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Hi Neil
[->please put your (first) name in your signature before all the mods jump your face <-]
I'd say in this section, which is both for gaming Roman history and any form of modelling it, not 'just' wargaming. That looks awesome, by the way, care to tell us a little about how you did it?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Construction is of foamboard and picture framing card, and the whole thing is 'wallpapered' with building papers I made myself, from digital photos of Hadrians Wall stonework. If you like I could at some stage do a step-by-step tutorial showing how to make this (and other models). Looking at those awesome legionaries on another post in this forum, I might just do a 28mm scale range!
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Yeah, that'd be cool!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Nice work!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thank you, friends. Here is another one - this is a model of one of the signalling turrets on Hadrian's Wall (Brunton turret) in 15mm scale. It seems that these structures varied considerably; the one I have modelled had deep foundations which suggests it had two floors. Excavated refuse/pottery shards suggest that there was one window each side, per floor.

[Image: 28vaxbo.jpg]

R. Neil Harrison
Most excellent work! A laus for your efforts.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:If you like I could at some stage do a step-by-step tutorial showing how to make this (and other models).

Yes please: these are good-looking models and I would love to have a go myself!

Have a laus.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Quote: Looking at those awesome legionaries on another post in this forum, I might just do a 28mm scale range!

Yes, given the quality of the work you are doing I think you would find a very receptive audience for 28mm scale structures. Table top war games could use a few objectives to attack and defend.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Looks really great. I'm surprised about the high quality of the printed textures. My printer wouldn't make that. Sad
Are the tiled roofs "wallpapered" as well? They look like painted structure.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Many thanks. I have access to a good quality printer (not my own!) which is able to print to a reasonable quality. The tiles I make from corrugated card from my local craft shop. I make parallell cuts in the card which then gives the tiling effect. Once painted it looks fairly convincing as a tiled roof, but really I need to find a way of making tiled roofs which looks more realistic. Suggestions welcome!

R. Neil Harrison
What about thin styrofoam sheet that can be textures and cut to look like a row of roof tiles?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The tiles I make from corrugated card from my local craft shop. I make parallell cuts in the card which then gives the tiling effect. Once painted it looks fairly convincing as a tiled roof, but really I need to find a way of making tiled roofs which looks more realistic. Suggestions welcome!
Seems to be a really good method. As long as one finds card board in the correct scale.
any other methods that come to mind are far more lavishly and wouldn't make for a better result.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]