Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum Blazons in metal Appliques
I am debating about wether to have my scutum blazon made of metal appliques or paint.

Paint evidence is everywhere but the metal applique evidence is not as prolific.

I recetly went onto the "National Legion" website and found some information on thunderbolts. The site says that ironl thunderbolts were found in Mainz.

Does anyone know anything of this? For example, what time period are these Mainz iron thunderbolts? What did they look like?

To my knowledge, the only thunderbolts found were from Kalkriese. They were of silvered cupric alloy with decortation.

The probelm I am having is that if the only thunderbolts found are those from Kalkriese, then they are too early for my mid 1st century impression. However, if these iron thunderbolts are closer to the mid 1st century in date, then I have something to go on.

I think it would be a far stretch for me to put Augustan and earlier decoration on my scutum if it never appeared again after Kalkriese.
If there is evidence other than Kalkriese (as the National Legion website suggests) and it is closer to mid 1st century then it is evidence of continued use.

The National Legion website mentions that the metal thunderbolt appliques found possibly belong to an auxillary shield but can by logic have been used by legionaries. "If its good enough for an auxillary then why not a legionary"

Any information on the iron Mainz thunderbolts would be helpful
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Paolo, the best source for that info would be Peterson himself.

It's all a guess.... painted, embossed leather, metal appliques, size, shape, construction method... I'd say it's down to you. What do you want?
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scuta Blazons. Doc 4 1,570 10-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Shield cover appliques Crispvs 8 2,502 07-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Anonymous