Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caltrops
A part from Herodian Nisibis battle description, someone remember other battle narratives where appears the use of this tools from the romans?
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Maurcie describes it in the Strategikon, Vegetius too.
Caesar describes the some traps in against the Celts.
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
I think I have a picture of some too. Just where...? I'll have a look if you're interested.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Magnus, I think, started a thread in which he'd made some, and there was a picture in that thread of how they were deployed, tied together on ropes staked to the ground.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks guys, but more that to object himself i'm more interested to narrative employment of trick for verify if Herodian can have take the idea from other literary description in Nisibis reconstruction.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

Was it me? Possibly...do you mean the anti-personel sized ones or the larger ones made with the palisade stakes?

Legion: TBD
Quote:Was it me? Possibly...do you mean the anti-personel sized ones or the larger ones made with the palisade stakes?

The tribuli

Didn't they find some small anti-personel ones and large anti-horse ones at Alesia in the pits and on the fields surrounding the Romans defence?
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Quote:Didn't they find some small anti-personel ones
I would imagine Vercengetorix's men found a few. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The only direct reference I found for the moment for use against cavalry of little tribuli is a passage of Polyenus , when he describe Nicias trick against Syracuse cavarly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  caltrops Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 19 3,735 11-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow