Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chariots in classical Greece
Something that has puzzled me for a while is chariots. I know they were used in the Mycenaean period for warfare and, perhaps, hunting but were they used at all by Greeks in the Classical period?

I believe the Persian King Darius deployed chariots at Gaugamela in 331BC and we know that the Greeks used them to race in Games but did chariots have a practical use after the Mycenaean period. Were they used only for races or also for transport or other things?

I have seen many depictions in classical Greek art of Chariots being used by hoplites in 5th C panoply but I assume these are these just depictions of the 'Age of Heroes' from the Iliad etc.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

George
Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)
Chariots were pretty common in the upper middle and upper classes.

They were run in the various events--Pan Athenaic and Olympic and so on. Two horse and four horse and even, as I remember, mule teams.

In the Archaic period, warriors may still have driven to war--or near enough to war--and dismounted to fight, of course.

As far as most historians are concerned, chariots were an essential part of a marriage ceremony in the Hippeis and upper Hoplite classes.

They were a serious sign of wealth, however.

My memory is that in roughly 450 BC (I read this last week and its already slipping away) there were 800 chariots in Athens. They had to be registered. I can probably find the quote given time and enthusiasm!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Agree with Christian. Only the wealthy could afford them.
The people who used transport had to choose between on horse if better of than the others who used donkeys, mules or ox-charts.

Martage ceremony was dome with ox charts for the less wealth and in the National Museum Athens survive the remnant of a ceremonial ox-chart.
I have posted a photo in a chariot relating thread here.

Kind regards
Thanks to both of you!

So wealthy citizens would own them to race in games? Or was it just to show off in?

Would they drive around the country when visiting people or just on certain training grounds?
Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)
Stephanos, I have seen a common shield blazon motif that looks to me like the box of a chariot with no wheels. Do you know what I mean, or shall I find an image of one? It appears on many blackware vases. Is this in fact a representation of a chariot?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
I have seen that,too! It seems you needed two shields to portray a whole chariot on them,because the wheels are usually on their own on another shield,too Big Grin
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Wealthy citizens owned chariots for various display purposes and possibly (?) even travel. I suspect the racing teams weren't used on everyday roads...

But my reading is that ownership of a chariot was a declaration of haveing surplus wealth--ie, an invitation for the state to ask you to finance a trireme or a chorus, at least in Athens!
Most wealthy citizens,together with half the population of Athens lived in their farms,some times way far from the city. Chariots could certainly have been a usual way for such kind of transport. Symbol of wealth? Well,I wouldn't say the symbol was the chariot itself,but the horses(two) that pulled it. Whoever had the ability to feed at least two horses and use them for transport rather than work,could have owned a chariot. I don't think it has any greater significance,like "only the aristocrats used them" or anything. And quite possibly the chariots who took part on the races were like modern F1. Lighter and faster,and with a professional driver! Their horses were breed only for that purpose,so it is more safe to say that it was the race chariots that you needed to be very ritch to own. They needed four horses and the best horses you could find,fed with the best way. Rather different case than travel 5-10 km from your farm to the town or to the neighbouring farm.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Chariots could certainly have been a usual way for such kind of transport

Hmmm. Farm carts? Walking? Even riding--but chariots?
Why not? I can easier imagine a chariot in town rather than a farm cart. Especially with a wealthy couple on it. And I have seen no farm carts on any vase,which now seems strange to me. On the contrary I have seen women on chariots, and I sure don't think all of them were mariage scenes.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
I thought maybe someone would have heard of a theory on the appearance of chariots on shields. For example they could be on there because they are a sign of wealth and thus elitism. They could be there because they are a symbol of power, like a muscle car today. Or perhaps they are on there because the hoplite or an ancestor had famously won a chariot race. Maybe all of the above, I just wondered if there wer any ancient references to it.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Yes,

2 chariot examples:
One asociated with the Eumolopidae clan in Eleusis.
(Man carrying grain sitting on chariot)

The other with the Phylaidae clan in Athens (those who usually carried the horses backside). Many members of the clan including Cimon where champions in chariot races. The distinguised members of the clan instead of the horse were allowed to carry the chariot to demonstrate the clans prowess

Cimon 1st grandfather of the famous general had won the Olympic races and was murdered by partisans of the Peisitratidae. The 86.25 from Tampa Museum of Art (chariot on Athena shield) comes from Vravrona area - powerbase of the clan and it is dated at the time of Cimon 1st murder.

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attic Helmets in Classical-Hellenistic Greece Celtic505 2 2,019 02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Celtic505