Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
constructing and mounting a porpax
I'd like to thank both of you. Tomorrow, when I have a little time, I'll post a proposed system of replication of the rim and let you critique it. but thanks to both of you for the information--as always!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
[pre]Sorry about yesterdays post—rife with errors. Is anyone else finding that the system on RAT will only allow you to type backwards?

At any rate, here’s my new idea (thanks to Giannis and Paul) on a shield rim. First, I lay down a single thickness edge—all the way round the rim, but not three dimensions, meaning it does NOT go over onto the back. Then, I make the bronze shape illustrated (roughly, apologies—I lack Giannis’ talent!) in Diagram One—then I tack that strip to the EDGE of the shield and bend the triangular flanges to both sides and tack them down, on the face, right through the bronze strip.

Thoughts?
[/pre]

[Image: n681611203_1640787_6693.jpg]

[Image: n681611203_1643910_8895.jpg]
Here's what I propose
[Image: rimtriangles-1.jpg]
If you want an all-bronze-covered efect,you can place another sheet of bronze under the triangles covering the rim,as you suggested in your own drawing.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Fascinating....
As a reward...show us Aurora's porpax Big Grin !
Giannis K. Hoplite
Later tonight. Promise!
As promised--Lorica's aspis. Or, our shops second production model. And the third is getting the linen layers even now...

First, a good photo of the clenching stage:

Spikes in:
[Image: n681611203_1654262_3787.jpg]
and the spikes bent for clenching

here's the next stage--
[Image: n681611203_1654265_4490.jpg]
So I've driven the spikes and started clenching them, and now I'm rippling the spike into it's new hole with a cold chisel and some tapping.

Lorica, happy that I haven't wrecked her porpax!
[Image: n681611203_1654266_4721.jpg]
Complete except for paint--unless Lorica decides to be an Argive instead of a Plataean...

[Image: n681611203_1654267_4953.jpg]

and the long awaited interior shot:

[Image: n681611203_1654274_6627.jpg]

So--Lorica, the skilled metal worker, made herself a simple porpax, while Kineas, the painter, did almost no painting inside his own aspis. Those of you who do crafts will recognize this trend...
Another look, this one a profile.

[Image: n681611203_1654269_5412.jpg]
One more nice shield! This is an interesting interior. The black-white bands next to the porpax are painted i suppose? And the black thing inside the porpax is a detachable leather lining? Or a non-detachable leather lining? Could you please post some close ups of the porpax? Perhaps one with the arm holding the shield?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:The problem, Giannis, is that our bronze smith expert--on of Lorica's former professors--says that there's no reason to make the rim in a single piece. I'm beginning to suspect this is just out of his experience--that a shield rim is basically like a tire

The reason for a one-piece rim, in my opinion, has to do with the function of the rim. Were it simply a bronze reinforcement for a shield's edge, as we see in many shields, then a piecemeal construction does not really change its ability to withstand blows. But it was not this. It was specifically designed to use the tensile strength of the bronze to keep the shield-rim from splitting under compressive force on the shield-face. A one-piece rim spreads this evenly, a jointed rim can work too, but it disproportionally puts the stress at the joint.

I could of course be wrong, but damn if my scheme doesn't explain a whole lot of otherwise idiosynchratic features of the panoply. :wink:
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Paul B. wrote:
Quote:I could of course be wrong, but damn if my scheme doesn't explain a whole lot of otherwise idiosynchratic features of the panoply.

...well I don't think your ideas assist you here! :lol:
From an engineering point of view, a bronze rim less than 0.5 mm thick adds no "tensile strength" whatsoever, and still less if it is 'dagged' like many of those shown here!!
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:From an engineering point of view, a bronze rim less than 0.5 mm thick adds no "tensile strength" whatsoever

It does Paul. A 0.5mm wire might not, but the rim has not only thickness, but width. The force is spread across it. Think of the strength of a thin, but broad, plastic bag. Or better yet, think of this as Greek duct tape :wink:

In fact the thinness makes it less useful in stopping strikes and more likely to fulfil the function I describe.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:Paul B. wrote:
Quote:I could of course be wrong, but damn if my scheme doesn't explain a whole lot of otherwise idiosynchratic features of the panoply.

...well I don't think your ideas assist you here! :lol:
From an engineering point of view, a bronze rim less than 0.5 mm thick adds no "tensile strength" whatsoever, and still less if it is 'dagged' like many of those shown here!!

If the dagged edges are left sharp it'd certainly help stop an enemy grabbing the edge of the shield lest he cut his hand open. Like Alexander said about beards - they're only good for grabbing an opponent in combat. This could be a deterrent for someone grabbing your aspis, perhaps?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Perhaps it helps. But the only sharp rims I have seen are those two that are displayed together in a fighting scene,that I posted above. The rest are not that sharp and have decoration that would help grabing.
The most obvious function of the bronze rim is to keep the planks of wood together. And perhaps as Paul said withstand severe blows on the shield that may have deformed an unrimed shield. Secondarily,it is always better to protect smth wooden touch the ground.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Detachable Porpax Giannis K. Hoplite 28 8,119 06-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Porpax Julius Verax 5 1,954 04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite