Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kessel-Lith Sword
Hi folks,

As a "vexilatio peregrinvs" of COH I BAT, one of our early impressions is that of an early Batavian Soldier, armed with native equipment. I posted some pics of the complete impression in the "show your impression" thread.

As such, we attempted to re-create one of the swords and scabbards found at Kessel-Lith, as noted in these pics from Peronis' Article "The Dress and Appearance of the Batavian."

We started with the "Celtic Sword" by DPKa, and then did all of the conversion ourselves. Of the original DPKa product, only three pieces remain: the wooden pommel and guard, and the blade itself. The entire scabbard and the hilt (to include a cap as suggested in the images) were made by myself and Alex Matras.

The hilt is composed of alternating bronze/maple discs, approx 3mm thick, and then "notched" as in the original finds (the bronze discs were notched; we infer that this would have extended to the organic layers as well). The result provides a grip/feel similar to that provided by the "checkering" on a modern gunstock. Very secure in the bearer's hand.

The scabbard has a wooden body, covered with thin leather (which we dyed); the seam was sewn up the front side of the leather and is hidden by the bronze front plate.

The bronze front plate is "phosphor bronze," .032" or 0.81mm thick, cut from a sheet to match the shape of the scabbard body, and then attached to the front via the flared edges at the bottom bent to form a partial "chape" (this is suggested in a couple of the images) and then further secured by means of four leather bands. The method to secure the bronze front plate was suggested by the fact that no holes could be found in the plates; likewise no extant "tabs" that might have been bent around the backside and secured with nails or rivets.

So, we hope you like it, and are more than willing to assist anyone else in a similar project.

Regards,

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Nice work! Good to see the origins of the axiliaries pertrayed and the equipment. It will add variety and interest to displays for sure. 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Did you make pictures of the loose hilt discs. I'm very interested in this part of the reconstruction, as I'va also a Deepeeka laying around ready to be redone.

On the scabbart. Is there any reason that you attached the bronze front plate to a wooden/leather covered scabbart? Isn't i common by la tene period/ early celtic scabbart that they were made up out of 3 pieces of iron/bronze clamped together by the lower part? Haven't done any research on this part of the subject, yet, but this is the type of scabbart I had in mind to make based on the front plates from Kessel-lith.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Byron: Thanks, mate. We got a lot of help from Peronis, Matt Lukes, etc.

Jurjen: We have some pics, I think, of the discs around somewhere. Send me a PM and I will try to find them and get them to you.

Regarding your comments about the scabbard construction, you could very well be correct, although my research into this project indicated that the only remains found with these particular scabbards were the bronze front plates, as shown in the second image above, indicating that the remainder of the scabbards must have been organic, hence the leather-covered wooden body with a bronze front plate.

Regards,

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF

Quote:Regarding your comments about the scabbard construction, you could very well be correct, although my research into this project indicated that the only remains found with these particular scabbards were the bronze front plates, as shown in the second image above, indicating that the remainder of the scabbards must have been organic, hence the leather-covered wooden body with a bronze front plate.

Yeah, I know only front plates are found on that site.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Then, I am wondering how to answer your question? Big Grin
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF

Excellent work, and a really interesting reconstruction!! Laudes
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
wow! great work, Edge!

*envious*
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Jurjen,
Here is a picture of the loose maple and bronze discs. Also pictured is the aluminum tube we used to cut the lines along the hilt. We placed the discs inside and used a hacksaw in the slit to cut the lines.
/* Alex Matras */
Yes this looks nice!

I have heard from a number of people (including me) that they would like to make such a sword, but your the first one I see that actualy did it!
And the sword looks great!
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
That hilt is very priddy (as it the rest, but the hilt especially so).

Can you do a side shot of the bottom of the piece? Would love to see how you have approached the chape & edge.

N.
Excellent job again guys. Your gear knows no bounds!

Legion: TBD
Quote:Byron: although my research into this project indicated that the only remains found with these particular scabbards were the bronze front plates, as shown in the second image above, indicating that the remainder of the scabbards must have been organic

I think "must have been" is a leap of faith in these circumstances as it seems equally (if I were being bold I would say probable) that only the front plates were deposited.

Celtic scabbards had a wooden liner with a back plate which wrapped around the front of the wooden core so that it formed a shallow C curve. Into this was slotted the front plate held in place by the scabbard tip shoe. Looking at the scabbard plates above they seem pretty standard La Tene fare and are slim like those which would slot into a back plate rather than be fixed onto a leather scaccard.

This being so your interpretation indicates that either the back plates were dispensed with, for what ever reason, and the friont plates used on a new scabbard more suitable to local tastes or that only front plates were obtained and used accordingly.

I'm not saying its not possible that this happened just that I would question the premis that because what you would usually find was not there, there must have been something in its place as opposed to nothing.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Kessel Belt reconstruction. Peroni 5 2,195 11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Crispvs