Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman gladius?
I know! What gets me is the fact that the seller is willing to provide the "documentation of provenance" of the swords, but it is awful funny that two swords in such spectacular shape for their age have not been published in some of the well known archaelogical books and publications. Nor have any similar examples ever been excavated anywhere else, at least not to my knowledge. Like I stated in my previous post, I am definitely no expert, I would call myself a relative "dummy" compared to some of my friends here on RAT, but even this "dummy" is smart enough to be wary of such "deals" as those two swords! <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
It's actually no surprise that these pieces are not "known" or published, since probably 90 percent of all artifacts are found by private individuals (legally or not) and end up in private collections. Heck, even most of the stuff that does get scientifically excavated never gets properly published, certainly not in any popularly-known English publication. And museums only show a tiny fraction of the stuff they have. There's an AWFUL lot of stuff out there that very few people have seen.<br>
<br>
Even considering that, these pieces are very suspicious. An experienced antiquities collector and trader like John Piscopo will tell you any number of stories about ebay dealers who knowingly offer all kinds of fake crap, but as long as they offer and give a full refund upon demand, it's legal. There are enough suckers out there who will be fooled to make it highly profitable.<br>
<br>
The ridiculous little "history" lessons and misspellings in the description are dead giveaways. And "spear point blade"--say what? Save your money for good books and reproduction weapons and armor....<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Final price.....US $5,450.00 - you could get a lot of more realistic stuff for that!<br>
<br>
Paulus <p></p><i></i>
This last one has a hilt that reminds of the eagle pommel sword that passed by recently ... three in the same year ?<br>
<br>
Conal <p></p><i></i>