Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protective work wear research request
I don't know of any specific primary evidence for work clothes, despite logical arguments for protective gear such as aprons for cooks or blacksmiths.

Illustrations of people labouring that I am familiar with appear to show standard short tunics and sometimes loincloths, but not extra clothing. One arguable exception might be the secondary figure in a long, loose, unbelted tunic on the memorial of L. Cornelius Atimetus, usually identified as the knife-sellers assistant, Rome. One might just as easily call it an example of the 'Gallic Coat' or decide that it signifies a servant or slave.

I'd be interested in any evidence, to help improve Living History impressions.

cheers
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Hi

Some dock workers appear to wear a protective band around the chest similar to the fascia ventralis which some soldiers seem to wear. A miller from Sens in France wears a pill box hat and an apron. Details of these can be seen in John Peter Wild's articles on provincial clothing which are referenced in Alex Croom's book on 'Roman Clothing and Fashion' which I think is in the Comitatus library.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Many thanks, Graham Big Grin

J.P.'s articles seem to hold the answer to a number of intriguing questions, including the birrus and the Gallic coat! They're now on top of my list to locate.

cheers
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~